• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID UK Orb-weavers (1 Viewer)

Jaff

Registered Member
Can I get some additional input on these. All were taken here in West Lancs (well the second was Marshside RSPB Southport which is bizarrely in Merseyside). And only no.2 was adjacent to water (albeit in a hide) the others were not.

I think the first 3 are all Larinioides but which ones. The first one I'm confident is cornutus but what about the next two? The last one not really a clue. It was a sizeable spider though similar in size to the others.

Attachments

• IMG_5644.jpg
    IMG_5644.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 7O3K5082.jpg
    7O3K5082.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7532.jpg
    IMG_7532.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 7O3K6250.jpg
    7O3K6250.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 47
I think the first three are all L. cornutus but wouldn't swear to it.

The fourth is a Metellina species. It's not right for merianae so either segmentata or mengei

Thanks. I can't say for definite as it was a while a go now but I'm pretty sure the last one was bigger than a Metellina (which is what I was trying to say in my post) hence my confusion. My thought was maybe a male of a larger orb-weaver species but looking at pictures of male segmentata it does look a very good match.

Could no.2 be sclopetarius at all though as I somehow think it looks more like that than a cornutus (the hairier abdomen being one thing in its favour) and the fact it was right by water and in a hide window is what is also swaying me that way. I've cracked no.3 which is a juvenile cornutus which can appear brown as it was the colouring that was bothering me there!

Oh yes, I think you're right about no. 2. Sorry, I should have read your first post more closely.

The Metellina doesn't look right for merianae though that is a largish spider, so I reckon it's most likely a large segmentata. They tend to be sl. larger than mengei.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back