• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting starling roost (1 Viewer)

Neil Grubb

Apologies for double posting but I thought this would be of general interest as well as for the local patch thread. I was on my way home on Saturday when I noticed a decent sized starling flock swirling around over the Sherriffhall roundabout near Edinburgh. I returned the following day to film them and discovered they roost in the dovecot at Sherriffhall Farm. It may not be Springwatch scale or standard but the following video shows detail of the birds funnelling 30 or 40 at a time as the flock passes over the dovecot tower:

http://www.vimeo.com/3134720

I plan to contact the landowners to see if I can set up my camera under the tower later in the week :)

Neil

Nice piece of video Neil, something I've yet to witness but on my 'must see' list, love the way it looks like they're being sucked into the dovecot as they pass. A nice find and an event well recorded.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back