• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (55 Viewers)

Phil - point taken it's their forum and their rules - I will, in future leave Verns' photos' to his many fans here. I could suggest where else he could post them but as very little sun shines there.............;)

As i have stated already the photo was used to illustrate a point to, hopefully, a wider audience and he was credited and UW acknowledged. No attempt was made to mislead or to upset anybody.

Vern's reply above has various words in CAPITALS almost in the style of a verbal rant, i do hope he is as verbose when we meet as he is on-line. We are all supposed to be on the same side and i would be flattered if somebody used a local image of mine, providing reasonable protocol is adhered. I aplogised via a PM if i upset him but that was not the intent.

I will continue birding and Vern can carry on snapping and sniping.

ATB Laurie:t:

Phil - point taken it's their forum and their rules - I will, in future leave Verns' photos' to his many fans here. I could suggest where else he could post them but as very little sun shines there.............;)

As i have stated already the photo was used to illustrate a point to, hopefully, a wider audience and he was credited and UW acknowledged. No attempt was made to mislead or to upset anybody.

Vern's reply above has various words in CAPITALS almost in the style of a verbal rant, i do hope he is as verbose when we meet as he is on-line. We are all supposed to be on the same side and i would be flattered if somebody used a local image of mine, providing reasonable protocol is adhered. I aplogised via a PM if i upset him but that was not the intent.

I will continue birding and Vern can carry on snapping and sniping.

Moi I'm shy:eek!:

few snaps from today

Attachments

• z1.jpg
    z1.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 86
  • z2.jpg
    z2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 80
  • z3.jpg
    z3.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 102
  • z4.jpg
    z4.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 80
  • z5.jpg
    z5.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 105
might be wrong but is this a cettis? if so it was infront of the henbrook hide this arvo , only just got the pic bluuuurrrred to heck but i got him or her :t:

Attachments

• cettis qm IMG_8609.jpg
    cettis qm IMG_8609.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 160
Can anyone help I took this of a kingfisher about half an hour ago on the moors, I'm thinking a juvenile female? As I can see a white tip on the bill and some orange under???? (total stab in the dark but that's my mad theory)

Attachments

• DSCF1250.jpg
    DSCF1250.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 97
Can anyone help I took this of a kingfisher about half an hour ago on the moors, I'm thinking a juvenile female? As I can see a white tip on the bill and some orange under???? (total stab in the dark but that's my mad theory)

Nice image,can see a little under beak,so you may be right,white tip and feet colour are a good sign for juvs

wahoo thanks, i'm getting good at this haha!

Apart from white tips the feet are a bright orange, a good book to read/look is "Kingfisher Tales from a Halcyon River " by Charles Hamilton James.

Be aware of Kingfisheritus 8-P a bug that gets you .ask Forgetful elephant,the hours we spent in the concrete hide

Apart from white tips the feet are a bright orange, a good book to read/look is "Kingfisher Tales from a Halcyon River " by Charles Hamilton James.

Be aware of Kingfisheritus 8-P a bug that gets you .ask Forgetful elephant,the hours we spent in the concrete hide

I think its to late I believe I have it haha

might be wrong but is this a cettis? if so it was infront of the henbrook hide this arvo , only just got the pic bluuuurrrred to heck but i got him or her :t:

There are a lot of Reed Warblers in front of the Hen Pool Hide ;)at the minute but this does look good for a Cetti's W - the darkness of the interior of the reedbed does affect shading. I thought I heard a contact call on Saturday morning and I think JTB also had a vocalisation in recent days.

Edit: having looked further I am not so sure now

Last edited:
There are a lot of Reed Warblers in front of the Hen Pool Hide ;)at the minute but this does look good for a Cetti's W - the darkness of the interior of the reedbed does affect shading. I thought I heard a contact call on Saturday morning and I think JTB also had a vocalisation in recent days

what am i like DOH hen pool hide great first for me cettis on the flashes side of the reserve thanks phil there were 3 flitting around my guess juvs :t:

a few off me (all rights reserved} !!

quiet day out today so a few odds and sods.

Attachments

• DSC03169.JPG
    DSC03169.JPG
    324.9 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC03210.JPG
    DSC03210.JPG
    390.7 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC03216.JPG
    DSC03216.JPG
    335.1 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC03223.JPG
    DSC03223.JPG
    362 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC03237.JPG
    DSC03237.JPG
    395.6 KB · Views: 76
At moors this evening. A cettis on east track with chiffchaffs. The first i have seen this month. Otherwise very quiet. Little grebe 12 with 2 well grown juvs on Broadmeadow pool. Teal 25 from flashes. Disturbed by shooting somewhere on hobdon hall farm. Also 10 common terns including our family of 2 ads and 2 juvs.
At Flashes. Very much the same as the last few days. Teal 10. Grelag 23. Ruff . Green sands 7. Curlew 21. Common sand 1. Lapwing 70. Common tern 11 roosted 6 ads + 5 juvs different to the birds at moors. .

Last edited:
A few "small" offerings from Moors west hide this afternoon.

(The bullfinches weren't playing the game, the kingfisher landed on a post a long way to the right, and I'd put my camera away when the sparrowhawk flew from behind LH of hide and across the front - brilliant view! - Can't win them all:-C:-C:-C)

Attachments

• IMG_2558a cock greenfinch with juv.jpg
    IMG_2558a cock greenfinch with juv.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2563a juv greenfinch.jpg
    IMG_2563a juv greenfinch.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2585a hen greenfinch.jpg
    IMG_2585a hen greenfinch.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2572a sedge warbler.jpg
    IMG_2572a sedge warbler.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 97
Phil - point taken it's their forum and their rules - I will, in future leave Verns' photos' to his many fans here..........
.........As i have stated already the photo was used to illustrate a point to, hopefully, a wider audience and he was credited and UW acknowledged. No attempt was made to mislead or to upset anybody.

You miss the point.
This is not a forum matter but a convention universally applied in publications.
Public Domain means you have a right to view an item, not to use it.

Unless an item appears in a hard or soft copy publication and is stated to be copyright free the author's (photographer's) permission should be gained before using it for one's own purposes, however well-intentioned. This is over and above crediting them with having been the originator.

Overriding all of this is the small matter of common courtesy.

As Phil Andrews says - the best way of using such material for the purpose you intended is to provide a link or a reference to the item concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back