• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sightron "Blue Sky" II 8x32 (2 Viewers)

Another interesting nugget is your comment about the flat field... whereas Allbinos gives the Meopta a pretty poor score for "distortion" noticing that curvature starts only 32% of the FOV from the center.

Just wanted to reference this again as I picked up on something as I was surfing through the Binomania website.....

"Thanks to a lens that acts as a field flattener the image is almost perfectly flat. I would say up to 80-85% of the field, a very good value, which together with almost 64 degrees of apparent field of view provides an immersion in the scene both pleasant and relaxing."

out of stock?

I was expecting my Sightron shipment from Amazon today. They did not arrive, because the driver refused acceptance at the warehouse, stating the package was damaged.

That was the last Sightron 8x32II that Amazon had in stock. They will not get a new shipment until the end of December, so I have had to accept a refund.

I would have much preferred the binoculars. Nobody else seems to have them currently.

I just noticed that the Sightron company is about an hour's drive away from me. If you generate a Google "Street Scene" of their address you can see the place, on the corner of a little strip of offices. Maybe I'll try to pay them a visit one day.

That is great Henry. I will check it out.

I would also love to hear if you stop by and check out what they have to offer.

I have to admit that I was contemplating sending you my SII 8x32 for you to evaluate.

I gave them a nice run through 2 days ago and wrote my most extensive review w/ comparison to my (also new) ultra HD 8x36's. Gosh darn if I didnt screw it up somehow and deleted before I posted. ARGH!

I found it very interesting and also encouraging that I concur w/the vast majority of what Frank posted in his comparison.

Bottom line- I tried not to like these but its just not happening. Realistically, they are more bino than I deserve at this point in my birding career.

Thanks again Frank.

center focus diopter adjustment?

The driver returned today, with the box which he had refused to accept yesterday. The outer shipping box was indeed rather crushed. But he gave me the option of opening this to see if there was any damage to the binoculars. They were fine, so now I am a happy owner of the Sightron 8x32 SII Blue Sky.

I think they are the Blue Sky model. The factory box says they are Blue Sky. But the instruction manual has this chart, which states the the Blue Sky model has a special center lever for the diopter correction.

BlueSkyfeatures.jpg

Mine does not have this feature. On the other hand,the printing on the circular plate of the focus knob states that they are Phase Coated. So, according the the above chart, they should be the Blue Sky model.

The Instructions say:
The SII BLUE SKY models feature a center focus diopter for the Right Eye (sic). To focus the right eye with the diopter just follow the directions as above except use the small lever at the bottom of the focus knob to focus the right eye.
Do yours have this center focus diopter? Mine just has the right eye diopter ring.

Last edited:
Maybe they are referring to the full size version. It is an entirely different design.

BI,

I am very happy to hear that you enjoy them. I would still like to hear of your comparison with the Ultra HDs when you have the time.

I do have to laugh. I doubt my little post did anything for their overall sales. Just glad to see others enjoying them.

You could try manventurepost.com.

Maybe they are referring to the full size version. It is an entirely different design.

Frank,

Yes, the website http://www.sightron.com/index.php?action=view_document&did=1201816362&cat_id=27&id=137 shows that this center diopter lever is a feature of the SII BL 8x42. So, mystery solved.

I just looked at the full moon, and noticed the proximity of Jupiter. I propped the Sightrons on a cushion, and was able to resolve the four Galilean moons, each a perfect pinprick of light. Galileo himself would have killed for the Sightrons.

I weighed the binoculars and found they are lighter than advertised – 17.1 ounces instead of 19.8 ounces. That is without lens caps. The rear cap I don't find very useful, so do not intend to use it. I might forgo the objectives cap too. The lightweight case may be all the protection I'll need.

Last edited:
The rear cap I don't find very useful, so do not intend to use it. I might forgo the objectives cap too. The lightweight case may be all the protection I'll need.

I dont like that the bino's have to be in storage mode (flat, widest IPD) in order to hold the occular cap in place. 83.76% chance I am goingto lose those.

I like the insert objective caps.

I gave them a nice run through 2 days ago and wrote my most extensive review w/ comparison to my (also new) ultra HD 8x36's. Gosh darn if I didnt screw it up somehow and deleted before I posted. ARGH!....

I put this together in a recent PM and figured I'd add it here where its relevant.

FWIW, my experiences and opinions re 8x36 ultra HD vs Sightron 8x32 SII

re the ultra HD's: the sightron has a smaller FOV, and its noticeable, but its sweet spot is really large. Massive actually, to the point that I'd argue its to the edges. Obviously it isnt, but it sure feels that way to this novice. Not so with my HD's, which have blurring at the 6oclock position at the least. The sweet spot of the HD's isnt huge. I cant venture a guess, but 50% may be a ballpark figure I wouldnt argue with.

Most noticeable, and probably the biggest let down is that the HD's have, to my eyes, a tremendous amount of curving around the edges. I'll be honest I am not sure if this is what people refer to as pincushion or field curvature or what, but its extremely noticeable. Between the smaller sweet spot and curving, I didnt fall in love with them, which I expected to do.

The HD's are brighter, and I can notice this. Its obvious. Super bright, as you are likely aware. They also, to my eyes, are more color neutral. The HD is sort of "clinical" vs the Sightrons "natural". Yeah, I know, that sort of description helps tons, right? Others have said the Sightrons are more brown/red, and perhaps that is what I am seeing and how I am interpreting it. The HD's are more like my Pro OPtics in terms of color (or imo lack thereof).

Phylsically the HD has way better texture, a weak spot of the sightron, which feels chinzy (hard plastic). The sightron emblem on the side sticks out, which is absurd imo.

Strap, case, and features of the sightron are far cheaper. No comparison there.

Focus knob on the HD is very nice, the sightron a bit stiffer, but no problem. Both are precise with none of that "Pro Optic" play.

The diopter on the sightron has no lock but its VERY stiff, which is fine by me. The HD diopter shifts a tad when I lock it into place, so I found myself having to over-compensate prior to locking it. The diopter setting for the HD is way off to the "+" side which seems to be a bushnell glitch- 3 of my bushnells are all far from center when set. I dont have goofy eyes, either. No biggie as long as its not a problem with the Binos.

I notice a ring of glare around the perimeter of the HD's that I do not notice with the SII (nor the excursion 7x36) under identical conditions.

The accoutrements of the HD are better (case, covers, etc). The lens covers of the SII are bizarre. I think whoever came up with the occular covers isnt someone who uses binos often.

By nature I am proably not a fan of longer bino's, instead preferring the ergonomics of a shorter (even if thicker) bino. The sightrons are very lightweight but are a bit long. Though not big, they are longer than I expected. This, coupled with the fact that I was really expecting to finally get and love the HD's, (due to part to my love affair with my optically inferior 7x36 excursion Ex's) had me expecting not to like the sightron so much. I figured I'd play with them and then sell them off into the "FrankD eupohoria". Then I had a chance so sit down and use them. No chance now. Keepers without a doubt. The HD's are going up for sale (eventually ;) )

So, the take-away is that I do think the Sightrons are the real deal. Just a really awesome crisp clean clear image... very easy to use. Every preconceived impulse was against them and FOR the HD's but I am, in the end, definitely keeping the SII's.

Fun stuuf, these Binos and this website! You guys are costing me a small fortune :-O:-O

You and me both BI. ;)

Speaking of which I am going to have to sell off some of the bins/scopes that I don't use to pay some of those bills. :)

On a related note, if any of you decide you don't like your SII 8x32s after the return period has expired from wherever you purchased them from then drop me a line. ;)

Last edited:
Despite the similarity of the Sightron to the other models referenced earlier in this thread I have always been left with the feeling that it isn't the exact same design with a rebadged label. That feeling grew even stronger after I found this....

http://www.pentaximaging.com/sport-optics/products/DCF_BC_9x32#!product-specs

It seems that Pentax has chosen to use the same (or very similar) body design for their DCF BC 9x32. It is difficult to compare some specs because of the magnification differences but the body looks identical to the Sightron. I am guessing that this may appease some folks looking for 9x bins in a more compact package than what was offered previously from other manufacturers.

I will post this in the Pentax forum as well.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
Bought some today off OpticsPlanet.com for $178 Shipped after using the 11% discount they have running woo11cel (O's and not zeroes and runs thru 11/18/11).

I have seen Sightron gun scopes and if these are as good as Frank and others say and similar to the scope quality, I know I will be pleased. Can't wait to try them out...

I spoke with Sightron today about the shortage of 8x32's and they claim to have many pairs in stock, and stated that their main distributor is www.wholesalehunter.net and that they shipped them a bunch 2 days ago. Soooo - it looks ike they will have some back in stock in a day or so since they were shipped from NC to WS. They claim that amazon, Optics planet and others are not their main distributors when I questioned why these internet retailers were out of stock.
They also claim that these are made in their factory in the Phillipines, and that their other factory is in Japan. The girl said that Sightron is owned by Kenko, but when I pointed out the similarity to the Kenkos, she said the Sightrons are produced to a slightly different spec than the Kenko models.

For what it's worth.

Tom

I spoke with Sightron today about the shortage of 8x32's and they claim to have many pairs in stock, and stated that their main distributor is www.wholesalehunter.net and that they shipped them a bunch 2 days ago. Soooo - it looks ike they will have some back in stock in a day or so since they were shipped from NC to WS. They claim that amazon, Optics planet and others are not their main distributors when I questioned why these internet retailers were out of stock.
They also claim that these are made in their factory in the Phillipines, and that their other factory is in Japan. The girl said that Sightron is owned by Kenko, but when I pointed out the similarity to the Kenkos, she said the Sightrons are produced to a slightly different spec than the Kenko models.

For what it's worth.

Tom

I did get a notice after submitting my order that Optics Planet is out of stock, but I can wait for them to get back into stock and pocket the savings from their anniversary sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back