• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Saltmarsh Sharp Tailed Sparrow or Song Sparrow? (2 Viewers)

jward

Hello all. Noted this sparrow on my first ever trip afield with a camera (Canon S1 is). I was excited! I'm not sure if this is a Saltmarsh Sharp Tailed Sparrow or a Song Sparrow. The third picture I'm attaching is of the location here in Central New Jersey where the photo was taken. Please advise your thoughts. Thanks!

Jarrod

Attachments

• Sparrow ID Picture small.jpg
    Sparrow ID Picture small.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 249
  • Marsh small.jpg
    Marsh small.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 232
Looking at the bill only, I would eliminate Saltmarsh as Nat Geog. shows a long bill flat at the top. The streaking on the side should tell us something, but this is a hard one!---ah heck,Song!

Is that bill thick enough to be a song sparrow's? For some reason the bill just doesn't seem right to me, even though I want to call it a song sparrow.

jward said:
Hello all. Noted this sparrow on my first ever trip afield with a camera (Canon S1 is). I was excited! I'm not sure if this is a Saltmarsh Sharp Tailed Sparrow or a Song Sparrow. The third picture I'm attaching is of the location here in Central New Jersey where the photo was taken. Please advise your thoughts. Thanks!

Jarrod

I agree it is not a Saltmarsh S.T. Sparrow. The head and beak are a bit out of focus and with weird light pattern making it difficult to reach a good conclusion. But from what I can see from the head and the clear white belly I think it is a Savannah Sparrow.

Dalcio

Last edited:
hmmm.. I hadn't thought of Savannah Sparrow, but I have seen groups of them fluttering from a perch (5-15 second pause) then flying back into the marsh grass. That seems to fit the description of the Savannah Sparrow.

The one reason why I still consider the Saltmarsh Sparrow is that I am only about 1 mile (as the crow flies, as they say...) from a bay of the Atlantic. Thanks for everyones input and look forward to more speculation!

jarrod

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back