• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Holger Merlitz: Review of Current Chinese 8x40 binoculars (1 Viewer)

I think the difference here once again is the difference between "best binoculars for the least money" and "the best binoculars".

I wouldn't argue with anyone that the Big Four make (or made e.g. Nikon SE) "the best" binoculars (collectively) in the world. By that people seem to mean they optimize on all binocular parameters (optical and ergonomic) except price i.e. they are "the best" optically.

The problem for the Big Four is are they than much better than "best for the least money" Chinese EDs? These seem to be the optimum across all binocular parameters (optical and ergonomic) including price. But what that optimum is varies with the user: your "best for the least money" might not correspond to my "best for the least money".

What about the people who when you give them a Zeiss FL go "Wow" when they look through them. Then go "Wow!" when you tell them it's $2K to buy one.

In the automotive world this is the difference between Ferrari/Aston Martin/Koenigsegg and a Toyota. Even in the sports cars if you optimize on one set of parameters (sportyness and cost versus ergonomics) you end up with the Caterham Seven (think Lotus Seven in The Prisoner titles) that goes around the BBC Top Gear test track faster than all of the other tested cars. And only cost £38,000 not £250,000 and up. But it has manual everything (not even ABS) but in the hands of a excellent driver can put in an excellent time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterham_Seven

And that's true for pretty much all binoculars: ALL binoculars are compromises.

Perhaps a more important question (and one where the Chinese at least haven't solved all their problems though the Big Four have some problems too) is consistency from unit to unit with a given product. How much sample variation is there?

Last edited:
Good point and actually what I was thinking of commenting on before reading your last post. Based on comments here on the forum and on other forums the unit to unit consistency of the Zen EDs seems to be better than many of the other Chinese bins out there. Yes, there have been one or two quality control issues (thinking of chartwell's extended eyecup) but I would consider this a significant improvement over what I remember the Nikon Monarchs running into only a handful of years ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back