• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 190cxpro4 128rc2 Swarovski ATS 80HD (1 Viewer)

nature elvis

Hi all

Hopefully, all being well, a used Swarovski ATS 80 HD is winging its way to me as we speak. :t:B :) Its taken a while to get the Scope, obviously as you can imagine the cost doesn't help in this regard and I'm aware I've asked a similar question on the forum quite a while back when I was originally considering the ATS 80HD/which set up I should chose. However finally the wheels are in motion.

My Dad is kindly allowing me to use his Manfrotto 190cxpro4 with 128 rc2 head until I'm sure what im doing in relation to a tripod and head. He uses this setup with his ATS 65 so is more than happy but two questions;

1. Will this manfrotto combo be more than ok for the ATS 80 HD or do I need to be cautious in terms of stability? The weight capacity of legs and head seem to be fine but just wonderd in practice whether there would be in any problems with the 80 HD and,

2. If this loan was to develop into a permanent arrangement would it be able to take the weight of added digiscoping kit further down the line such as the DCB adaptor and a P6000 camera or would a 055X set of legs be the way forward?

Regards

Last edited:
Here is a Celestron 80ED on a Manfrotto 3001 tripod that worked ok. 501 head. 3001 was rated at 11lb. I think.
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=197131&d=1242567496

This 80ED is quite a bit longer and heavier than the Swaro and the 3001 tripod is at the max at full height. Your new scope being angled would help keep the tripod lower to the ground. I might be wrong but I think the 3001 is an older version of what the 190 is now. I guess this is not much help.

Last edited:
Here is a Celestron 80ED on a Manfrotto 3001 tripod that worked ok. 501 head. 3001 was rated at 11lb. I think.
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=197131&d=1242567496

This 80ED is quite a bit longer and heavier than the Swaro and the 3001 tripod is at the max at full height. Your new scope being angled would help keep the tripod lower to the ground. I might be wrong but I think the 3001 is an older version of what the 190 is now. I guess this is not much help.

No, thanks it is helpful. Right now I'm thinking the 190cxpro4 is the way forward. If I go down the digiscoping route It should do the trick too.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back