• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Premier LXL and the Vortex Razor HD? (1 Viewer)

raptorbfl

Hi,

How does the current Nikon Premier LXL 10 x 42 (7536) compared to the current Vortex Razor HD 10 x 42 as far as optical quality and ergonomics
and feel in the hand?
I know the build quality of the Premier is excellent, and was wondering if
the Premier is a bit of outdated technology? Does the Razor with its HD
glass really provide a far superior optical view that the Premier?

I also read that the Premier LXL's rubber armoring is not the greatest and wears out very quickly? False internet rumor or some truth to this?

Is the Razor brighter and better contrast than the Premier?

I ask because I have a change to grab either the Premier LXL 10 x 42
BRAND NEW for just $875.00 or the Razor HD 10 x 42 for just $949.00.

Which one would YOU pick??

Thanks

Allbinos evaluated both of these binoculars in 2010 and ranked them with 72 other 10x42 binoculars. The Nikon was rated 5th and the Vortex 24th but I note it is not designated HD. The review says that all Razor models use XD low dispersion glass. You can read the analysis with the comments below.

http://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html

The Nikons have a flat field of view and some users have complained that they see "rolling ball" when they pan while using them. Others have been satisfied with them. The LX L was Nikon's "Alpha" line of binoculars until their EDG line was introduced.

I've never tried the Razor but I own and have the Nikon 8x32 LX L and the 10x32 LX L and they are excellent, first rate binoculars and on that basis I would have no problem with buying a 10x42 LX L but only after I had tried it out first and/or had an option of returning it. Since it is brand new you will, or should, get a full warranty. Vortex's warranty is one of the best in the business.

Bob

Last edited:
Yes, I am familiar with albino direct review comparisons, but as you stated, he is comparing the older version of the Razor, so it really is no longer an accurate comparison

I had an HGL 8x42 for some time, the flat field was nice, the weight, meagre fov and a bit more CA than I`d expect was`nt, my rubber armour quickly showed signs of wear.

Also I think I`m correct that the Nikon does not have dielectric prism coatings.

I tried the Razor HD back in June, I`d certainly pick it over the LXL, but I`d definitely pick an EDG over the Razor.

We have the 3rd gen. Razor 10x42, and an LX L too. However, the Nikon is a 32mm, so I can't answer all of your questions. I can however put up a few comments.

Build quality of both is excellent, and overall one does not stand above the other. The view out of both is excellent too, and I would bet that there isn't any useful difference between the models in the same size. I like the exterior of both. They are quite different from each other, but I like the two different ways they go about doing things. I have not found the rubber armor of the LX L to be any less durable than that of our many other binoculars.

The biggest difference between these two is the focus wheel, and the quality of the accessories. The Nikon's focus wheel is both faster and smoother than that of the Vortex. This is *not* to say that the Razor's wheel is bad, as it is indeed a fine mechanism. The case and neckstrap of the Razor is IMO nicer than that of the Nikon.

For me, the things that are different enough to sway a purchase decision is weight and exterior cosmetics. The Razor weighs less than an LX L, and that is one of the biggest reasons why I have a Razor instead of a 42mm LX L. I also much prefer the looks of the Razor as well. It is one of the more handsome binos out there IMO. But one thing is for sure -- I wouldn't worry about any performance difference between the two. Both will do you just fine.....

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back