• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

compact binos: 8x25 or 10x25? (2 Viewers)

falgor

I want to buy a compact binos for general use in mountain (sorry, not specially interested in birds) I doubt between Olympus pci 8x25 and 10x25, because I like de 10x power for long distances and more magnification, but I’m afraid that the visual field could be too narrow and the light very poor.. Is better, for a 25 objective, sacrifice de magnification? Must I choose the 8x?

Sorry for my English. Salutations from Spain!

Here is one that may fit your requirements. It is a little larger in size than your inquiry requests. I have one and I am very pleased with it. With it's single hinge design, it is very easy to use. The 9x power is a good compromise between 8x and 10x. I think the field of view is quite adequate and it is bright enough. I carry it in the front pocket of my winter jacket and it will fit into a large bellows style shirt pocket. It is the Pentax DCF LV 9 x 28.

I believe Pentax is sold in Europe also. Here are the binoculars specifications from a USA website:

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/pentax/pentax-dcf-lv-9x28-roof-prism-binocular

Cordially,
Bob

Thanks to all. 9x28 and nikon 10x25 sounds well, but I must choose between the Olympus models (10x and 8x) because, for my job, I have better price in this manufacturer...

Regards,
Felix

Hard to say with the Olympus. But 9 out of 10 times in these lower end, less than 500 dollars, pocket binos the 10x is not very good, does not offer better detail in the field. At 32mm or 42mm, you start getting decent 10x in lower prices as well.

Olympus PCI 8x25 always seem to have done well when reviewed. I have not seen the 10x25 ever reviewed - or even tried one.

Unlike the more expensive Olympus ranges both the 8x and the 10x have the same number of optical elements (7 elements in 5 groups - fully coated).

Looking at the specs the 10x has less eye relief, field of view etc as you would expect. (Fov 105m or 91m at 1000m)

In practice I went for the 8x for reasons of brightness - a longer day effectively - and it seemed a sure bet from the reviews.

I guess the choice is to go for a fairly safe bet with the 8x or a gamble with the 10x.

It would be great if someone has actually got the 10x and would let us all know how it compares.

Last edited:
Ok, finally I think that the choice must be 8x25. My price of the Olympus stays just below of Opticron's Taiga market price, of which I’ve could read good opinions.

In the ranking of the Birdwatching’s forum the Pci obtain better optical resolution that the Taiga, in spite of that Opticron are FMC and BAK4 (Olympus not). What do you think about that? At the same price, which is better?

Thanks!

Falgor,

What I think of the Pci obtaining better optical resolution than the Taiga is that the testers happened to have a better sample of the Pci and a worse sample of the Taiga. Centerfield resolution differences between binoculars that share the same magnification, objective diameter and prism design are overwhelmingly the result of differences in how precisely the assembly has happened to fall together, and this can vary a great deal at this price level (indeed, most price levels).

Kimmo

Ok, finally I think that the choice must be 8x25. My price of the Olympus stays just below of Opticron's Taiga market price, of which I’ve could read good opinions.

In the ranking of the Birdwatching’s forum the Pci obtain better optical resolution that the Taiga, in spite of that Opticron are FMC and BAK4 (Olympus not). What do you think about that? At the same price, which is better?

Thanks!

I am surprised Olympus does not offer FMC for this model line. I would assume FMC is by default standard for any decent binoculars. Back to the topic, I would choose 8x over 10x too.

I already have the pci 8x25 and i must say that I am satisfied with it. The optical quality is sufficient for my expectations. They are sufficiently clear and brilliant and the 8x magnification works well for me. Thank you for your advices!

Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back