• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yet another beginner optics thread... (1 Viewer)

I'd recommend the Papilio, Frank, for people of all sizes.

It's a unique bin. Nothing like seeing a bumblebee at 6.5x or 8.5x normal size. A binocular and portable microscope. A great tool for a budding naturalist. And museum visitor.

I have never tried the Papilios but your comments have me interested. My one son has the 6x30 Yosemites and he is content with them. Maybe the other needs the Papilios....or maybe dad does.
;)

!!!!!!!! Never tried the Papilios!!!! How can that be! My very first posts to Birdforum (after lurking for quite a while, not feeling the need to comment on anything beyond what others were already saying) were to express my enthusiasm for the Pentax Papilio. Here's the thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=31465&highlight=pentax+papilio

I've blathered on about all manner of stuff since then. The only reason that I don't continue to promote them so heavily is that I try to remember that this is BIRDforum. :)

--AP

I've blathered on about all manner of stuff since then. The only reason that I don't continue to promote them so heavily is that I try to remember that this is BIRDforum. ;)

Ah, we are the optics subforum ... if we don't blather about it here where else would be do it.

But if Alexis likes the Papillo it must be good ;)

It's certainly not perfect optically but it is unique. And with the weather getting better (it's not waterproof) it comes into it's own for close observation.

Ok, so give me the run-down of the Papilio now that your experiences have expanded Alexis....

...and you as well Kevin. They seem reasonably priced. What is not to like about them?

Optics aren't perfect. I find them perhaps a notch below the Yosemite.

Small exit pupil is fiddley and they use a coupled pair of EP that move relative to a fixed body (a bit like the Canon IS bins).

They have a pretty long focuser so they're not perfect for birding (but better than nothing) but the action is very fluid.

The tripod mount is interesting. Not used it yet but for watching insect behavior it could be a lot of fun. More of a long range microscope. Definitely a one-off bin.

The 6.5x is the better, IMHO.

I got my two: one Cameraland Demo and the other second hand.

Ah, you nailed my next question...which configuration to purchase. I was leaning towards the 6.5x just because of the exit pupil issue but your comments confirmed it.

What are the image characteristics like....brightness, edge distortion, CA control, etc...?

Ah, you nailed my next question...which configuration to purchase. I was leaning towards the 6.5x just because of the exit pupil issue but your comments confirmed it.

What are the image characteristics like....brightness, edge distortion, CA control, etc...?

I'd have to take it out and have another look to be sure but ...

brightness: transmission of a typical small multicoated porro. Not too many elements in the path (it focuses by moving the objectives so they toe in too for closer items). There is an extra loss in the coated plate at the front of the bin. The usual caveats of a small exit pupil but then again as it's primary design seems to be a butterfly bin and they are out at midday that's not an issue.

edge distortion: not sharp to the edge IIRC but then again I generally don't look at stuff at the edge of field so I don't know if it's astigmatism or curvature. It's not wildly obvious. I shall check.

CA control: pretty ordinary glass and a short f number (I think) so there is both some longitudunal CA and lateral CA in the EP (no special glass there either). It's not fantastic but it's not bad either. Unless you are looking at high contrast objects you don't notice it (but of course it's there and messing with the image).

I also recall out of focus there seems to be more spherical abberation in the out of focus background (that circle like effect ... if you know what I mean).

I'd say overall the image quality was a little down on the Yosemite. But the unique feature make up for it.

So as long as I use it primarily for butterfly watching it should be "ok". What about for the previously mentioned children's use?

I would need a test child for that. ;)

The Papillo exit pupil is smaller so lining it up with their eyes won't be as easy as the Yosemite. Not sure about minimum IPD either. But this thread has a 6 year old using and loving both the Yosemite and the Papillo.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=126899

It is smaller than the Yosemite though so grip shouldn't be an issue even for the smallest naturalist.

Well, it sounds like a worthwhile investment. I will order one and post....

...now off to find where it is the cheapest.

;)

Frank,

My opinions/observations are unchanged from my several posts in that old thread that my previous message linked to. The Papilio are not as bright and are more bulky, but focus closer (and have a wider FOV) than standard reverse porros. The close focus for butterflying is what they're about. They are nothing exceptional in other respects, but I do like their handling and focus speed/precision. Make sure to set IPD at infinity, then don't adjust it down (or minimally at most) the way you would other binos at close distance, otherwise you can get some odd eye-bending effects.

--AP

Thank you for the suggestions Alexis. I will keep them in mind. I am going to go down the route of another smaller-than-full size roof prism bin and the Papilio may or may not fit the bill.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back