• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compact Bins (1 Viewer)

Charltonfan

Anybody recommend some compact roofs for less than £100. Have checked out some Opticron Oregans 8x32 which I thought were really good at only around 5 inches long. Have got some Nikon Sport 8x21 but find the view too narrow. Just want these bins for keeping in a work bag so must be compact. I like the standard roof design.

The Discovery (next model up and more than £100) is perhaps a bit better given the comments here and it is very light for a 32mm roof.

The most acceptable compact roof I've found is the Pentax WS (and the models that preceeded it) but it has a narrow field too.

In general good (and wide field and ER) and cheap for compact roofs are mutually exclusive properties. See the many, many threads on the forum about this ;)

If you broaden out to compact porros you have more options.

Anybody recommend some compact roofs for less than £100. Have checked out some Opticron Oregans 8x32 which I thought were really good at only around 5 inches long. Have got some Nikon Sport 8x21 but find the view too narrow. Just want these bins for keeping in a work bag so must be compact. I like the standard roof design.

I picked up a pair of 6x32 Eagle Platinum Rangers roof prism compacts on Astromart for $140.00 and they are the best compacts I have ever had. Smooth focus, >400 FOV, good ER , great DOF, and very good resolution. I like the 6X in a compact because they are easy to hold steady in a smaller binocular and 6X is adequate magnification in situations where you would use a compact. Like a concert, theatre, the zoo, backyard birding(etc.).

Dennis

Thanks for the replies. I am keen for the mag to be 8x and whilst the Discoveries are a possibility I think keeping the cost below £100 means the Oregans are probably what I'll go for.

Kikkertspesialisten ranks the Oregon higher than the Discovery. For Resolution and Contrast they score 8+, 8 and 7+, 7 respectively. The Discovery is slightly the brighter of the two. The Oregon is pretty bad for Edge Sharpness and Glasses-friendliness and the Discovery even worse. Unless you really needed the extreme lightness of the Discovery, the Oregon looks a much better buy.

Michael

Thanks for the info Michael. I will be going for the Oregans mainly due to price and compactness. The image is good enough for occasional birding at work.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back