• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tips on garden shots (1 Viewer)

ghocking

First hope I am in the right forum.
Would appricate any tips you could pass on to photographing birds in the garden.
I am new to bird watching but not to photography. I have had bird feeders in my garden for a long time and get a fairly wide range on birds. My two cats sit and watch them through the window all day without the birds worrying (I don't let the cats out), but whenever I walk into the room however carefully most of the birds see me and fly off, its not a big garden and I do not really want to take the shots through the window (but through open window). Is it just patence setting up and waiting?
Equipment:
Canon EOS 20D
Canon EOS 350D
EF 28-135 IS
EF 75-300 IS
EFS 10-22
and just bought EF 100-400 L IS mainly for wildlife.
Thanks for any tips.

Hi ghocking. Patience, patience and more patience! You'll also find that the birds get used to you in the garden, and if you hang around long enough, they will come to the feeder whilst you are standing pretty close.

Another idea is to have a birdbath, some great photo opportunities there too.

You could always try getting some mealworms from the petshop, and placing a few in a dish. Lots of photographic opportunity there. Here's a link to a current thread about mealworms: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=32523

Here's a pic of the songthrush taking the worms in my garden.

Attachments

• Songthrushthumbnail.jpg
    Songthrushthumbnail.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 216
I agree with Helenol about lots of patience. I would add that it is important to have the food as close to your vantage point as you can.

I shoot from inside through a closed window and am happy with the results. I part close my curtains as a makeshift hide and I find that the birds are not scared away.

Cheers

Ken

EDIT Nice shot of the thrush BTW, Helenol.

Last edited:
garden Photography

H ghocking,
Helen is dead on about the MW, but boy does it cost!
As I have said a number of times on BF, there is much more to bird/wildlife photography than good equipmentalthough that helps of course! I note you have some good gear and would be interested to hear what you think about the 75-300 IS lens as I have one on order!
The main thing I have found is that some of the best events with birds happen suddenly and last for just a few seconds.I have my camera by my side at the computer and can sometimes anticipate when something may kick off, such as one Robin feeding another.
My Robins are now as tame as you like as are the Thrushes although the BB are still nervous.
Now that it's warmer, sitting outside near a tray with MW on will generate some good photographic chances.
Have a look at my gallery to see some of my recent pics taken with a canon 20D and a 300mm (non IS) zoom lens.
Generally the early mornings and evenings have the best light and the birds are more active then.
You can also get some interesting photos by using flash as it gets dark, as some birds work late!
I tried the C100-400 IS lens last week (at jessops) and the result were pretty good although it is a heavy lens to use and carry.

Good luck,

Cheers,

madmike

If you have an apple tree or something else that is in flower then you can always take a cutting & fix it to the side of a bird feeder.That way when anything perches on it you have a natural looking shot.A garden fence panel can sometimes make a makeshift screen you can always cut a slot out of it for your lens to go through then drape some netting over yourself to conceal you from behind.A rotten piece of branch with a section cut out of it with either peanuts or mealworms placed in it works you can support the branch using a metpost.Drilling holes in a dead branch & putting peanuts in works well in the winter as birds like the nuthatch will spend time trying to get the peanut out.Hope this gives you a few ideas.

Cheers Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back