• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Build Your Own Kingfisher!!! (1 Viewer)

timwootton

I'm doing a bit of research at the mo and a friend directed me to this wonderful artist. Had to share.
Click on Jethro Brice and 'kingfisher' a couple of times. (Actually, you don't need to - my cunning link takes you straight there!)

Brilliant isn't the word!

http://www.meansealevel.net/?q=node/17

Last edited:
What a novel idea, and a great way to recycle, by turning cans into art! Kudos to the artist because I think I'd end up with a bunch of cuts all over my fingers.

Its brilliant and nicely made, thanks for the link Tim.

I just have to ask though, does making what is still a discarded drink can acceptable to the eye stop it from being litter? Especially if it is placed in the habitat of a teritorial bird where it could cause undue disturbance and stress to that species!

Last edited:
It's a fair point Nigel. I was only really looking at the creative side of the process. I wouldn't advocate sticking anything 'alien' into the environment, particularly if it would cause stress to wildlife, and I think the tincan kingfisher was only positioned to show how 'realistic' a re-sculptured Ir'n-Bru tin can look. I assume it was removed after the photo was taken (but I don't know). It wouldn't be the first time 'art' conflicted with the environment (remember the cows?).
So I think we should stress - make your kingfisher, but keep him indoors.
Also like to add (following Nigel's prompt) that this is just another reason to take litter home (if we needed more reasons) - as the colourscheme of the can hasn't been altered in any way to resemble a kingfisher - it just does. Therefore any Ir'n Bru can - resculpted or not, could have the same effect to a kingfisher, if left discarded on its patch. (I know male robins will attack red toys or dolls, if in the 'right' mood).

Last edited:
An interesting and inspired piece of art! Thanks for bringing this to our attention Tim. It just shows what can! (no pun intended) be achieved after drinking iron bru? Nigel does have a serious point though! My biggest worry is discarded plastic! Cheers from Steve.

It's a fair point Nigel. I was only really looking at the creative side of the process. I wouldn't advocate sticking anything 'alien' into the environment, particularly if it would cause stress to wildlife.

Guess I better stay indoors in that case......

What agreat way of using Cans..............Before the great flood in Boscastle, upstream in the woods above the village, someone had made a wicker 'Green man' and had it fastened into one of the trees....It was all part of a competition to spot various bits of 'art' in the trees....manly for the children but i think that most of them were hard to find and very well blended in, if i find the picture ill post it..

OK, Found it.......
green man.jpg

Made up of coiled wire and painted green.....sadly it was all washed away when the flood tore through the valley

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back