• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tips, advice or help for a newbie please (1 Viewer)

mosca

After lurking here for a little while I have been inspired enough by you all to have a go at my own picture. It's my first drawing of a bird so please be gentle.
(it's a terrible photo too)

The original photo I have taken the drawing from shows the bird standing in longish grass and so I can't see the feet clearly. Should I include the grass and if so how much? As it's a b/w drawing I didn't want it to get too busy. Another option would be to make it up? Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Philip
swimming pool 044.jpg

P.S. Thanks for posting your photos, it has been a pleasure seeing them as well as reading about the background too them.

1st drawing? 1st DRAWING????!!!! - Marvellous work Philip. You clearly draw regularly and have an excellent understanding of the tonal qualities of your medium. You have introduced some very technically difficult techniques in this work and you've executed them with aplomb - really well done.
I would suggest you did the grass as it appeared (I love grass- it covers up the birds' feet - tricky subjects!!) and besides, it is a better representation of both habitat and scale. So often you see illustrations of, say, robins or sparrows and they're walking ankle deep in grass. For goodness sake, they can only do this on bowling greens - in most circumstances, they'd be up to the belly at least.
I think this is a thoroughly commendable piece of work and look forward to seeing more. Well done.

Last edited:
You get an echo of what Tim says from me, (apart from the bit about liking grass; it's the bane of my life).

I too look forward to the second drawing and all the subsequent drawings too!

Mike

Thanks very much for the encouragement. It has been quite a tense drawing but I have also enjoyed doing it. I’ve not drawn anything like this for about 15 years and never wildlife so have a lot to learn. I’m quite looking forward to it though.
Thanks for the tip about the grass too Tim, I will bare it in mind for future pictures and background.
I am new to bird watching too so every day has something new. I am working on site sketches and hope post some soon. I live in Southern Spain (near Gibraltar) and have noticed a good area for low flying Vultures and an area of stork nests, but to be honest even town pigeons are doing it for me at the moment.

Thanks again and all the best,

Philip

Love his scruffy, windblown look. Top notch -- I think you've got a few things to show the rest of us!

Love his scruffy, windblown look.

That was the first thing that struck me too! It reminds me of a Raymond Harris Ching as he seemed to do VERY detailed works with every feather showing.

I love this! It's fabulous!!! :t: It's the sort of pic I used to love doing when I was at school - B&W with so much detail. I'd spend hours on getting every tiny thing just so ;)

Can't wait to see more of your pics :clap:

Well what a nice bunch of people you are.
This is quite an Aladin's Cave for talent here.
Thanks for the help and encouragement, I working on the grass (drawing that is) and will post it once completed.

All the best

Philip

Sorry it's taken so long to say hello! Clearly you can do magic with a pencil, and I look forward to seeing more.

Well I have finally added what is supposed to be the grass. It looks more like roundworm to me :eek!:.
(perhaps the next one should be "Bird in Flight" :)

It's been a big learning curve and I have thoroughly enjoyed working on it.
Apologies for the appalling photography but hopefully you can get a rough idea of the picture.
Thanks again for the encouragement and warm welcome.

Attachments

• sketches 3 007.jpg
    sketches 3 007.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 98
  • sketches 3 025.jpg
    sketches 3 025.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 101
Oh no, no, no Philip! Not roundworm at all - this is exactly how I'd hoped you might finish the drawing - excellent result and one to definitely be proud of (I certainly would had I done this). Now onwards and upwards!

Here is another sketch. Same sort of thing as before, though it was much quicker this time. I'm thinking about using colour and paints but quite enjoy the simplicity of just pencil and paper at the moment. Maybe just a dab of watercolour soon.

Female sparrow 013.jpg fs1.JPG

I do need to improve my photography skill though :eek!:

hers a tip... get some better paper, then give me some advice on how to improve my skills.... awsome work, I couldnt be more jealous if I tried... Paul

The learned gentlemen abve have provided all the critique required - just for me to say what a wonderfully alive drawing this is, Philip. Very, very good indeed.

what a superb little drawing, all the cheek of a sparrow is there. I have to agree - better paper, such good drawing deserves it.

ermm... just normal cartridge paper or is there another type for pencil work? (asked rather embarrassingly)

thanks

Philip

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back