• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Untitled... (3 Viewers)

good man - love these last two little portraits, such a subtle range of colours yet strong, vibrant and thoroughly enjoyable.

Hey Phil, Dunnock is superb! Is this finely rendered in coloured pencil? It looks like it to me. If not, is it your usual meduim? The plumage has been worked up beautifully. You certainly have a unique, very appealing style, sir.

Russ

Hey Phil, Dunnock is superb! Is this finely rendered in coloured pencil? It looks like it to me. If not, is it your usual meduim? The plumage has been worked up beautifully. You certainly have a unique, very appealing style, sir.

Russ

It's a mess of gouache and water-colour pencil. ;)

No the Pied Wagtail is not awful! It's lovely, I really like the way you gave shape to the legs. I really enjoy the gentlness of your works all around.

No the Pied Wagtail is not awful! It's lovely, I really like the way you gave shape to the legs. I really enjoy the gentlness of your works all around.

Gracia Matteo!

I'd better start doing some more work! My head's been all over the place lately.
Joy and gentleness are my antidote to an often unharmonious Human World.

Here's an old study for you.

The top breakdown piece is very wooden and purely functional.
The 2 vignettes below I like. Because they capture the jizz of a bird I like. And have never seen again.

Have a special weekend everyone! B :)

Attachments

• Devon Dick'sPip.JPG
    Devon Dick'sPip.JPG
    200.5 KB · Views: 57
This was a long time ago. But, now, in the future?

Yes, you are right Ken. My own personal field guide.

I hope more insights will be recorded.

Until then, some past Scoters....:cat:

Attachments

• ComSco.JPG
    ComSco.JPG
    258.8 KB · Views: 45
  • VelSco.jpg
    VelSco.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 44
Hi Phil,

I went through the last ten pages of your thread, and once again I am awed by the ability level of the folks in this forum! Great stuff - wonderful that your cartoonist background translates to your sketchbook work and style. It's also great for me to go through the threads here since I've not birded the UK and seeing the species and learning a bit about them is very nice.

I've never seen Richard's pipit so, when I first looked at your sheet here, I thought; 'That's a wierd stance, so upright and almost stiff looking, maybe a bit too upright to be right...' Then I read the notes and there in black and white; 'Very upright stance, quite distinctive'.

It's pretty obvious that your observational skills are top notch and I'll now be looking out for giant, upright pipits! (And black ducks pretending to be coots in flight!)

Mike

there's something about your sketch book pages that is just so endearing and charming, not to mention educational....wonderful to see it always

I think...i can learn a lot of all painters here,thank you for the wonderful paintings

and excuse my bad english

friendly greetings Gaby

hey- nice scoter: the two little head-ons on sheet #1 are very special: reminds me of a Warren from Embo, back in his more adventurous days

Oh dear!

Autumn!

Been trawling the archives!

Bewick's Swans! ;)

A strange painting is due for posting soon....:cat:

PS Thanks for all your special comments! I really appreciate them! And sorry my posts are very lax! It takes me an absolute age to work out a good "angle" for a painting! Thank you very much to all....

Attachments

• Bewick's.jpg
    Bewick's.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Letratone by Letraset.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screentone

I applied it to Wildlife line-work from cartoonist techniques. Wonder if people still use this stuff? These pieces were done in the early 90s!

Here's another example.:cat:

that's brilliant Phil- its such a shame that so many county bird reports these days (with honourable exceptions) are all peppered with fine but boring DSLR shots when they used to be sparkling with these little lovelies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back