• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starlings in the USA? (1 Viewer)

david2004

I keep seeing posts about European Starlings in America. Are they native there, and if so, are they the same as the ones over here?

Yup, somebody released a number of European birds in the states and some have done rather well. Our American friends have lots of Starlings and House Sparrow and some Tree Sparrows.

I believe the Aussies have House Sparrow not sure if Starling was introduced over there

Really?! Wow! thanks pete! Are they as common as over here?
So the American House Sparrows are European, or are there American House sparrows AND European?

Maybe they should introduce some US birds over here!

House Sparrows and Starlings are quite common I believe.

There are only European House Sparrows. To really confuse the issue there are European Tree Sparrows and American Tree Sparrows!!

Introduce birds over here? Canada Geese, Ruddy Duck.....

We definitely don't want anymore!

hi tp20uk

The Starling is exceptionally common here 300 million birds at the last count - all supposedly from around 100 introduced in NY by some guy who wanted to introduce all the birds mentioned in shakespeare's work to the US. The sparrows are very common too (perhaps we should send you some back) - and were apparently introduced to break up horse manure in New York. There also used to be a viable breeding population of European Goldfinches on Long Island until relatively recently but I can't find any information as to how and when they died out.

Regards Luke

Thanks Luke, thats really helpful. Maybe we need some of the birds back, Starlings and House Sparrows are in sharp decline!

European Tree Sparrows were introduced in St Louis MO but have not exploded in the same way - but can be found in Illinois and Missouri at least.

Luke

tp20uk said:
Thanks pete. Where are all you knowledgable Americans??
Well, I'm a North American (at least, by adoption) and maybe not that knowledgable but I can tell you that E. Starlings are extremely numerous in Canada to the point that many birders refer to them as flying rats. I know of one bridge where it is extimated that 10000 Starlings roost every night.
House Sparrows are also very numerous and can be a problem around feeders. I'm not aware of E. Tree Sparrows being in North America only the A. Tree Sparrow.
OK, I just looked it up and E. Tree Sparrows are in the USA at least.
The Rock Dove is another introduced species that we could have lived without.

You are fortunate (or not, whichever way you want to think) that there are so many. In Britain they are in decline, and I haven't seen a flock of House sparrows for ages! I see one or two every now and then. The RSPB has statistics.

tp20uk said:
You are fortunate (or not, whichever way you want to think) that there are so many. In Britain they are in decline, and I haven't seen a flock of House sparrows for ages! I see one or two every now and then. The RSPB has statistics.

I seem to think H Sparrow are doing ok this year. I've seen alot around the garden. There were masses of them at Welney on Sunday.

snowyowl said:
OK, I just looked it up and E. Tree Sparrows are in the USA at least.
The Rock Dove is another introduced species that we could have lived without.

Phew I was going on memory over E Tree Sparrow.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back