• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK dragonflies and damselflies, 2015 (1 Viewer)

John & Gill Brook have found exuviae of Southern Emerald Damselfly at Cliffe (final confirmation of breeding there, though there's obviously been a colony for a few years now), so this species should be on the wing.

Have not been myself yet but have heard of at least 3 seen last week in the usual place near the second viewing mound.

Thanks for all the helpful tips. Back now after a couple of days in Inverness.

Managed a few hours at Loch Maree and scored with a couple of Azure Hawkers (see attached) and a single Northern Emerald in flight. Weather became wet and windy with not many dragons active. These were all at Slattadale. Had tried Bridge of Grudie first with no reward.

Also a few hours in Loch Garten area. Nice views of Northern Damsel once the wind dropped and after a fair wait a female White-faced Darter landed on the small boardwalk at the pool close to the road junction.

Attachments

• Azure1.jpg
    Azure1.jpg
    621 KB · Views: 85
  • Azure2.jpg
    Azure2.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 66
Lots of Northern Damselflies at Logierait Mires pool this afternoon despite being overcast, also Common Blue and Large Red. I have seen 1 Common Hawker so far this week at Ben Lawers and several Golden-ringed Dragonflies at various sites.

Does anyone know if there are any good sites close to the A3 in the Godalming area? I'm down that way tomorrow for lunchtime so have a couple of hours to spare in the morning and it would be good to see anything not common in Herts.
Any help appreciated.

Does anyone know if there are any good sites close to the A3 in the Godalming area? I'm down that way tomorrow for lunchtime so have a couple of hours to spare in the morning and it would be good to see anything not common in Herts.
Any help appreciated.

Thursley Common would be a good place to go. I was there last Sunday & in not ideal conditions saw Black Darter, Keeled Skimmer & Small Red Damselfly. Also had 1 Dartford Warbler.
With the weather as it is now you should have a good time there!

Cheers, Simon

Simon
Looks exactly what I was looking for. I shall give it a go.
Many Thanks

Currently Downy Emeralds are patrolling the Moat at Thursley Common (next to the car park.) The odd Brown Hawker is out, and a couple of Emperors - one very showy one on the pond by the stub off the main boardwalk. Black-tailed and Keeled Skimmers in quantity, plus Four-spotted Chasers. Azure, Common Blue, Emerald and Large Red Damselflies all present.

John

Farnboro John
Thank you. Downy Emerald would be a really nice bonus. I call in tomorrow morning.

Farnboro John
Thank you. Downy Emerald would be a really nice bonus. I call in tomorrow morning.

From the car park you can see a small jetty at the edge of the Moat. From there follow the shore clockwise past a bed of waterlilies and just before a short wooden bridge over a ditch, turn right to rejoin the shoreline. That is a very popular spot for Downy Emeralds, and a place I have photographed them for several years.

John

The traffic on the M25 and the A3 was terrible this morning, so I got to Thursley later than expected. I had about one hour 40 minutes. The Moat was very quiet and it took almost to the end of my time to see a Downy Emerald (only one appeared), there were few large species about. Sadly I did not have time to go much further but it looks the most wonderful spot. I will have to go back one day.

The traffic on the M25 and the A3 was terrible this morning, so I got to Thursley later than expected. I had about one hour 40 minutes. The Moat was very quiet and it took almost to the end of my time to see a Downy Emerald (only one appeared), there were few large species about. Sadly I did not have time to go much further but it looks the most wonderful spot. I will have to go back one day.

I was also up there today + rather disappointing for variety. Like you I had just one brief view of Downy Emerald at the Moat Pond. I also had a male Emperor + my first 2 Brown Hawkers of the year there.

Hundreds of Keeled Skimmers + 4-spot Chasers on the bogs + a handful of Black-tailed Skimmers, a couple of immature Black Darters, some Small Red + Emerald Damselflies. The stream that often produces Brilliant Emerald, Golden-ringed Dragonfly + Beautiful Demoiselle only had the common Thursley species.

Before getting to Thursley some good displays of Beautiful (+ a couple of Banded) Demoiselles by the Mill at Godalming.

Has anyone had Brilliant Emerald at Thursley this year? I know they've been about at Black Pond, Esher Common.

3+ Azure Hawkers at Slattadale mid afternoon today, including one which landed on my arm and stayed put for a good few minutes!

Has anyone had Brilliant Emerald at Thursley this year? I know they've been about at Black Pond, Esher Common.

We looked on the way back from not seeing the Terek last week (though good views of Hud Whim), but were probably a bit late in the day. It seemed very quiet compared to previous visits though - is it no longer a good site for Brilliants?

3 RVD at Queens Hills, Costessey, Norwich, Norfolk for past two days, per @norfolkbirder. Will pop over today.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back