• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ROSTRUM(i.e.weevil 'nose')The figwort weevil feeding on Hoary mullein. (1 Viewer)

ciONus

AES Bulletin Dec.2015 Vol.74.- Further observations on the feeding of the Figwort weevil;;Cionus scrophulariae.
My nine page article(following my 2014 article),involving microscope drawings,disproving Huber(1842)statement that this weevil 'burrows under the duvet'(i.e.leaf hairs)of mulleins,as he stated in a citation in Charles Darwin's Natural Selection,Stauffer(ed)1975.A professional entomologist suggested that Huber may have meant the very hairy Hoary mullein,which grows in Norfolk,so I had to grow it from seed & set the Figwort weevil feeding on it in indoor vivariums(made by sewing two Garden centre Belle Cloche's together),& out on my patio last Spring.Because the Council cut down the Kew Bridge Figworts in July 2014,when the weevil was in it's cocoons,I had to obtain Cionus scrophulariae from the banks of a local lake.The entomologist also suggested that Huber may have meant the Cionus weevil species C.hortulanus,but I don't have access to that species.Over a 100 of C.scroph.new generation that I bred during this experiment,I transfered to the newly growing Figwort plants @ Kew bridge to try to restart a new colony of them there.:eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back