• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TEXAS: BIRD ID Request (1 Viewer)

We saw this bird today while fishing at Canyon Lake near New Braunfels, Texas.
I've never seen one like it. He sat about about 25 feet above us on a concrete shelf that was over the water. Overall size about like a large duck.

Thanks for your help !

Chris

Attachments

• CanyonBird5.jpg
    CanyonBird5.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 76
  • CanyonBird4.jpg
    CanyonBird4.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 38
  • CanyonBird3.jpg
    CanyonBird3.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 46
  • CanyonBird2.jpg
    CanyonBird2.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 18
  • CanyonBird1.jpg
    CanyonBird1.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 78
Hi, that looks like a young Brown Booby, a tropical seabird that occasionally wanders north and inland. You might want to let the local birding community know about this bird.

Brown Booby, an official ABA rarity! If you don't mind, I will post this on eBird so that way any prospective interested birders can seek it out. Interestingly enough, one person reported another bird about a month earlier at the same spot.

Last edited:
Brown Booby, an official ABA rarity! If you don't mind, I will post this on eBird so that way any prospective interested birders can seek it out. Interestingly enough, one person reported another bird about a month earlier at the same spot.

THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED ME WITH THIS !!

Yes, after you guys ID'd this bird I found a sighting on Ebird of one.

The place where this pic was taken was the SAME place on the lake we saw
the bird today !

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S37721927

An immature BB but closer to adult plumage than to juvenile plumage. They have an underside of the same color as upperside when first they fly around.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back