• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (3 Viewers)

5 Black-throated Divers! You'd better do a pic of this, I am green with envy just thinking about it, and the sketches of that one are just, well, they're just gorgeous birds aren't they! Jealous indeed. :)

Sketching like crazy at the moment due to an abundance of great birds at this time of year. The birds are flooding in now, great to see them after a long winter when there is relatively little to see....
Common Gull pair here at Djurgarden in the city here. Lovely colours on the rocks here that when combined with water surface colours, floating bladder wracks and the birds themselves should make a nice painting...
Very happy with the second (male bird) sketch but may go back for a more head on pose for the female bird...

Attachments

• acommon1.jpg
    acommon1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 105
  • acommon2.jpg
    acommon2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Black Throated Divers. 5 Birds present at Flaten in Tyresta National park, a favourite site of mine at this time of year, led to these sketches. These birds seem to enjoy being social at this time of year and I really wonder if these extra birds on the territory of the established pair could be previous years young returning to the lake.
Thinking of a large group painting, the composition is proving tough though and I may reduce it down to three birds.
Also I am wondering if very large canvas size is a good idea with a view to selling the piece, not everyone has the room to hang a big painting...Any views on that??
May do it anyhow just for myself, have been admiring this species at the site for three years now and really want to do them justice...

Attachments

• abtd1.jpg
    abtd1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 97
  • abtd2.jpg
    abtd2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 105
  • abtd3.jpg
    abtd3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 97
  • abtd4.jpg
    abtd4.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 90
Early rough thumbnail compositional idea for Black throats...

...any thoughts more than welcome. Getting 5 birds laid out in a satisfactory position proving tough!

Attachments

• aabtdcomp.jpg
    aabtdcomp.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 101
...a bit more developed, having the birds on a more level aspect has helped, I quite like this I think...
May go for a long narrower canvas format to accomadate something along these lines...

Attachments

• aabtdcomp2.jpg
    aabtdcomp2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 116
Very rough comp. for Common Gulls from the notebook. Not had time to develop this as yet but dont think it will change much.

As mentioned above the right hand bird will be ammended to a full frontal pose, standing on one leg to help bring a more still feel to the picture, perhaps looking to the left of the picture towards its mate rather than have both birds facing the same way and leading the eye out of the picture...
Also wondering whether to move the position of both birds to the right of the rock they are on. I figure the rocks to the top and bottom left will anchor the composition on that side and the bird should go to the right hand side for balance. Like the left hand bird where it is really but dont know if moving the other bird to the right alone will work...

Attachments

• aacommoncomp.jpg
    aacommoncomp.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Very productive few day it seems to have been, now I feel guilty for having a nap, the divers are spot on (ie they look just like my dreams of this species) as for the gulls, well, it's not fair!! perfectly proportioned with just one single outline! When I sketch gulls they always end up looking like something that should be viewed with 3D specs.

The composition is developing well, I'd like to see more space in front of the left hand birds as they seem a little squashed up into the edge of the picture, don't know what the reflections are to be like but maybe the opportunity for them to be important in the composition??

Go for the large size, you know you want to!

Having difficulty myself with a similar idea, involving RC Pochards. Suppose I should get off the internet and start painting!

Having difficulty myself with a similar idea, involving RC Pochards. Suppose I should get off the internet and start painting![/QUOTE]

Perhaps I should join you! Have developed the individual divers in the painting over the last few hours and time has run out just as I am really getting into it.
Off to work for 8pm, which is a real pain as all I want to do is stay at the table and work on the black throats. What I need to do is give up the job, live on dry bread and pasta and spend all my money on canvases and art supplies!!;)

I am going to go for the large canvas. Its the right size for the subject and its what I want to do. Refelections will be important as it will be a greenish theme overall with reflected pine forest on the water. Wonderinng whether to include horizontal shoreline to the rear of the picture as a narrow strip at the top or if just water surface would be better.

Common Gulls will have to wait a while, will have a good think about that one. Thanks for your thoughts, really helpful as always...

Last edited:
A couple of suggestions

- maybe drop one of the rear 2 birds back slightly, to get a stronger sense of the plane of the water

- maybe turn one head of the left hand 3 birds slightly towards observer (I assume in true life they knew you were there)- would give an even greater sense of engagement

A couple of suggestions

- maybe drop one of the rear 2 birds back slightly, to get a stronger sense of the plane of the water

- maybe turn one head of the left hand 3 birds slightly towards observer (I assume in true life they knew you were there)- would give an even greater sense of engagement

Thanks for the thoughts Ed, both good ideas, plenty of food for thought...

May have to add several signatures to this one on completion to reflect on the generous help received here!

Alan - Love the comp sketch for the divers (2nd drawing catches my eye) and I agree with Ed that one bird slightly turned this-a-way would make a positive difference. Actually, harking back to Nick's comment about the CGulls - and the reflection (this will make a fine piece too, incidentally) I say that getting the reflecvtons 'right' on the divers will make or break the piece. At the moment it is looking stupendous - really!

Spring Bluethroat!

Finally. This is a bird I have waited a long time for, spring male Bluthroat. Did me the honour at Sandemar Reserve yesterday. There is nothing better than having a bird like this in front of you in glorious spring sun for as long as you need it to bee there. Fed in front of me on cropped grass all afternoon and capped a wonderful days birding. Lifetime want for me this one and well worth the wait!!

Attachments

• blsk1.jpg
    blsk1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 104
  • blsk2.jpg
    blsk2.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 91
  • blsk3.jpg
    blsk3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 126
  • blsk4.jpg
    blsk4.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 100
Well done on the tick, Alan - you've really done a great job on the little blighter. Must turn into a little colour sketch, mustn't it?
Fabulous work - great bird!

as if the wryneck wasn't enough!!!!!! In a very (jealous) sportsmanlike way, I shall say well done on seeing it!

hard part done, easy part now, fabulous sketches, and every bit as exciting as the bird I still dream of seeing

Beautiful sketches Alan. I'd love to see a bluethroat but I'll just have to go on waiting. (Not that I'm jealous or anything! Grrrr...) ;)

Woody

Went back out to Tyresta National park this morning and managed to get some distant reference photos of the Black-Throated Divers at Flaten Lake. 6 birds present altogether.
Have been held up getting started on this piece due to dfficulty getting the size of canvas I wanted, but have ordered one and it arrives on Wednesday next. These ref photos will help some though. Will post progress as it comes.(If it comes!)

Attachments

• aabtd1.jpg
    aabtd1.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 96
  • aabtd2.jpg
    aabtd2.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 103
such beautiful birds, what the heck am I doing in France?! (Even if this is the only place I've ever seen B T Diver, it was in winter plumage and on a boating lake, not like these beauties! Ok, it WAS beautiful, but!)

They really do make the most exaggeratedly graceful shapes, don't they. I for one, can't wait for you to get on with this one Alan - if your canvas doesn't arrive in the next 48 hours, I'll send you one!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back