• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mockingbird wings (1 Viewer)

devilbirder

I have just been watching on th wildlife channel Vaughan Ashby, Florida 2 film.
I notied that the northern mockingbird in it kept opening its wings every time it hopped, do they regularly do this and why?
I am British, have never been to america and know hardly anything about north american birds.
Its probably something simple like why do erm for example, little Egrets wobble their feet in the water: to attract fsh and stuff.
Any answers will be appreciated
Thanks
DavidKC

Last edited:
Yes, it's just like "little Egrets wobble their feet in the water: to attract fsh and stuff." They jerk their wings to scare their prey out of hiding. They usually prey on insects.

I don't know why I'm talking, I've never seen a mockingbird before! :-\

Yes, mockingbirds are the most common birds around my house. They frequently forage on the ground, quickly flapping their wings in and out. The wings have bright white patches, and a thoery is that it surprises insects out of their holes or the ground. It seems like a wierd thoery to me, but it does work for the mockingbirds!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back