• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

the foot bath (1 Viewer)

It seems to be working now.

The first was my first sketch as I was driving down a small rural highway. I am not sure it does the job. But what I am really posting these pictures for is the leg work. Really frustrating.
I think I am having trouble with foreshortening too.
The legs are just too short and I can't figure out how to remedy that.
And I know the goofy one in the third spot has three legs...maybe I should add more?

Attachments

• meadowlark.jpg
    meadowlark.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 69
  • meadowlark2.jpg
    meadowlark2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 71
  • meadowlark3.jpg
    meadowlark3.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 67
  • meadowlark4.jpg
    meadowlark4.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
And the last few...I think the top one in the first sketch is just about spot on. In the other two, the legs just seem to look ridiculous.

Attachments

• meadowlark5.jpg
    meadowlark5.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 70
  • meadowlark6.jpg
    meadowlark6.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 75
  • meadowlark7.jpg
    meadowlark7.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 77
Well! Hmm . . . it seems you and I are about to have a falling-out. Beth, in my opinion you have slated the best drawing of the lot!!! I think the last posting is superb! It has everything I would want to produce in a sketch - life, line andyes - balance. i think if the tail was srengthened, this would be the perfect drawing.
Oh - the other contributions are very good too - I just think this one's really special.

Really? Even the legs on that one?
Coming from you, Tim, that is one hell of a compliment. Thanks!
Al right, I like it too. But...those legs...something about them. I will study on it some more.

By the way, if that was a falling-out, bring on more of them!!

Best
Beth

They do look good- but it sounds as though something is still bugging you about them!

One possibility is to alter angle of rearmost leg a bit- logic being that if the "knees" on your bird are closer together than feet when viewed from front (I don't know about meadowlarks, but on other wire perchers oftentimes they are), then from behind that still should be true and so the legs won't be parallel.

Here's a shrikey think-piece which hopefully says it better than words- we've got a shrike influx on here currently so they are in my thoughts! As ever just my musings..

Attachments

• shrike copy.jpg
    shrike copy.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 85
That's an excellent graphic again Ed! - However - if you now look to Beth's last post (ta ta ta-ta ta, ta rant ta ta rant ta, rant ta ta rant ta ta!!!! - "Last Post" - geddit, eh?) I think it's discernable that her meadowlark DOES show the knockedy-kneesedy look. Address the image viewing its foreshortened angle. I'm still of the opinion that she may as well give up now, 'cos she'll never make a better drawing - ;)

That is perfect Ed. I am going to put it in my archives. Maybe I will try a few more sketches before my mother leaves...it's her camera that I am using...and I will post them.

Tim, I really think you are being too kind. Let me at least TRY to make it a bit better, then we can see.

Best
Beth

Not a very creative weekend on my part, but I couldn't resist putting a proper head on the shrike and putting a bit of animated boing into it.. you have to imagine that it was sitting puffed up and on its haunches and then it spots you...

Attachments

• 400shrike.gif
    400shrike.gif
    101.5 KB · Views: 97
What an entertaining - oh- and informative imagine for a monday morning :-O

I'm glad you enjoyed- my shrikey sense of humour was slightly tested by learning that that there was a Great Grey hedge hopping two fields behind the house on Sunday whilst I sat inside watching the rugby...

I can sympathise entirely, (though not with watching rugby!), Great Grey Shrike is my bogey bird, so many times I've turned up somewhere to be told 'it was sitting on that tree a few minutes ago'.

Thanks boys- what a supportive community we have here! I have previously 'scoped a GGS from the bedroom window at the same location, so not quite as traumatic as it sounds.

Off to Poland next week too, so should be able to recover the situation assuming not all N Europe's Great Grey's moved to the UK E coast last week.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back