• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very lucky BEE (1 Viewer)

devon.birder

Early Sunday evening the heavens opened over Tiverton and the rain lashed down for at least 30 minutes. Outside our back door is a drain that takes the rain water from the roof of the house and also from the bath and washbasin in the upstairs bathroom. My wife noticed that the drain appeared to be blocked and the water was rapidly rising in the gutter alongside the patio and if something was not done the water would soon be coming in to the house.
In the pouring rain I had no alternative than to bail out the water using a plastic jug and throw it down the nearby manhole.
As soon as the rain eased off I tried to unblock the drain but it was well and truly blocked. This morning I lifted the drain cover and managed to nearly fill a bucket with the sand that was blocking the drain-builders had recently been mixing cement on the patio and they seem to have washed quite a bit of sand down the most convenient drain!!!.
Anyway as I got a handfull of sand out of the drain I noticed something move, it was a large bumble bee. I washed it off with clean water and put it in a safe place. Very soon it flew off seemingly none the worse for its ordeal. How on earth had it survived in a water filled drain which was blocked with all that silt?.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back