• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A day at Point Lookout, Maryland (1 Viewer)

tvawter

Today I went to Point Lookout State Park in southern Maryland which has been closed for the past couple weeks due to damage sustained from Hurricane Isabel. Many of the loblolly pines on the waterfront were brown from damage sustained in the storm surge and parts of the park are still closed.

Still it was a good birding day. On the water there were numerous Common Loons, Double Crested Cormorants, Forster Terns, Brown Pelicans, and four gull species, Ringed-Bill, Herring, Greater Black Back and Laughing. A good complement of winter birds were found including Winter Wren, Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker, Hermit Thrush, Brown Creeper, Dark-Eyed Juncos, White-Throated, Savannah, White-Crowned, Song, Swamp, and Field Sparrows. Warblers were limited to Yellow-Rumped (Many!), Pine and a single Black and White. Raptors included Sharp-shinned Hawk, Merlin,Northern Harrier, Red-Shouldered and Red-Tailed Hawk with a late Bald Eagle that had us hoping for a time that it was a much rarer Golden.

A couple of Swainson Thrushes showed up as well as a female Scarlet Tanager who may be the last of the season for me. I would say that the highlight were the nuthatches as this is one of the only parks in our area which hold Brown-headed and Red Breasted Nuthatch as well as the more common White-Breasted. A trip to find a Kelp Gull on the river which has been famous for four years while hanging out in the vicinity of a Crab-House proved fruitless but doubtless the bird will be back for another free meal. No rare birds were seen but the light was excellent and I am wishing I didn't have to go to work tomorrow.

You make me cry with envy! How I wish I was over your side of the pond just now. But, what, no Turkey Vultures? Back at the end of October '98 I remember travelling over the Chesapeake Bridge and down to Salisbury and they seemed to be everywhere. I assumed a lot of them must be migrants, but maybe they're just very common in the area?

Jason

Aw, tv's

Yes Bluetail, there were quite a number of Turkey Vultures (tvs) as well as Black Vultures. There were a number of sightings I didn't mention because I wasn't thinking of them. Among the ones I should have mentioned were Ruby-Crowned and Golden Crowned Kinglets and a beautiful squadron of Tundra Swans. I often forget to make mention of them. You know from this side of the pond I often find myself thinking how much I'd like to be birding on your side. The human condition and all.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back