• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 50-500 vs. 150-500 vs. Nikon 80-400 (1 Viewer)

Brookie

Hi - Earlier in the spring, I got a lot of helpful input on getting a lens that would give my D40X more reach. I haven't bought yet, but I need to in advance of a trip to San Juan Island Wash. next month.

I think I am leaning towards either the Sigma 50-500 or the 150-500. According to the attached, seemingly up-to-date link (Compatible lenses), they appear to be fully compatible with my D40X, and presumably will be when I decide to move up to new body one day. Has anyone used them together? Any issues I should be aware of? Can anyone fill me in on potential pros and cons of either choice? The bigger aperture on the 150-500 seems like a huge plus.

Edit - As noted in the thread title, there are a couple of Nikon choices that would give me similar range for the same or a little more money. If there is a strong reason for sticking with the Nikon brand, I'd appreciate that information as well.

Last edited:
Brookie--
Any lens with an AF motor in the lens will be OK for the D40... The D40 does not have an AF motor in the body.

Its still too early for the 150-500 as they haven't released the Nikon mount version, as yet. The few Canon-mount snapshots out seem promising but no definitive objective reviews. There's always that caveat about comparing lenses with different mounts may not be fully comparable...

Thus, if time is short, the Bigma or the 80-400 VR might be the safe bet. Read the past reviews at--

http://www.dslrgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2726#post2726

Thanks Dave. I didn't know the 150-500 wasn't out yet with a Nikon mount. That probably simplifies the decision. Any ETA on when it will be available?

Telecorder is quite correct in that a lens with an internal focusing motor will work with the D40. The Nikon 80-400 however does not have an internal motor and therefore will not work with the D40.

The Sig 80-400mm is still a good lens too but will have the same problem as the Nikon, no AF with a D40/D40x/D60.

Thanks for the input folks. I ordered the 50-500 Bigma today. With a little luck I may even get a few hours to try it out this weekend.

Best

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back