• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

800mm F5.6 EX APO DG HSM (1 Viewer)

Sy V

Hi Gang.
I have in the past used (I still own) the Canon 100-400mm Zoom, the Canon 400MM Prime and I now use the Sigma 500mm Prime lens. I have been delighted with them all (once I've become accustomed to their various nuances) when used with my Canon 7D.
I am now considering getting the 800mm F5.6 EX APO DG HSM as I still require further each.
I have a good sturdy Manfrotto tripod with a Wimberley head and I'm fully aware of the 7 metre minimum focus limitation of the subject lens. I can't afford Canon's equivalent. In fact I'll have to sell the two Canon lenses at least to part fund the Sigma (if I go there).
I'd love to hear from other users, as to any bad/good points with the 800mm.
Please discuss...

Simon

Finding images of birds taken using the Sigma 800 prime may be like finding rocking horse droppings because so few people use the lens. You might try googling Tim Munsey from Leeds who I know uses the lens. Using an 800mm lens attached to a 1.6 crop camera is going to require exceptional technique to get consistent sharp shots with good depth of field. You will no doubt gain opportunities but you will miss a heck of a lot too. You might wish to give consideration to the Canon 300f2.8 plus 1.4 and 2x converters. You will have far greater flexibility particularly in low light /dull days. Having said that I wouldn't mind seeing some images taken with the Sigma 800 prime myself where a cropped sensor camera has been used. There are technical arguments which would suggest that a 7D is packed with too many pixels for a lens 800mm long (R N Clark) owing to refraction. I'm not getting into that discussion though!

Simon
I use the 300-800 mm version of this lens and find the results are (IMHO) very good. I've used it on a 1D body with a 1.4 TC for extra reach and still get acceptable results.

These were taken with it using a 7D (no TC attached).
http://andrewa.zenfolio.com/p115521042/h10fee2cc#h195637fa

The lens is very heavy and not the sort of thing to carry about all day thats for sure. Handholding is impossible.
Andrew

AD & AA

Thanks for the feedback so far.
I agree, there are few examples of photos using this particular lens, hence me asking here and my gratitude to you two. I've stumbled across the refraction argument, but the proof will be in the the proverbial pudding and I think I may be the Guinea Pig here.
I have only tried from work so far, but I am not able to see any images on your site AA. I suspect it's a corporate thing, but I see the pages and an outline of where the picture should be but everything's black. I'll try from home either tomorrow or later tonight. I understand too, the miss a lot theory, but I have found through experience with the 500mm that my miss-rate has reduced dramatically from when I first procured the lens. I'm assuming (perhaps naively) that similar reductions will be forthcoming with this monster. To be honest, I'm just about convinced that I'll go for it, so I need someone to prove to me that I'll rue getting the lens. I'm off to Google matey boy in Leeds...

Thanks again you two!

Simon

Simon,

I'm not Canon being a Nikon user but will agree with Andrew that the 300-800mm (I have one) is a cracking lens and I wouldn't swap it for the world, well maybe a 600mm f4 but...........

Personally I think if you've mastered the sigma 500mm, which is where I started then you can cope with the 800mm. The only operating difference is the weight but this works slightly in your favour as the lens is more grounded on the tripod and if you've got a decent body then the loss of f4.5 to f5.6 doesn't notice, just compensate with a higher ISO. There are plenty of shots in my gallery and flickr page if it helps.

Andrew, I think the weght issue is a personal one as I can quite happily lug it around all day and often do, ususally on the tripod over my shoulder but I accept that this isn;t for everyone.

I'll say go for it and enjoy at your leisure.

Ps. Why not try for the 300-800 rather than the 800 as it's zoom flexabilty is great.

Last edited:
Simon,

I'm not Canon being a Nikon user but will agree with Andrew that the 300-800mm (I have one) is a cracking lens and I wouldn't swap it for the world, well maybe a 600mm f4 but...........

Personally I think if you've mastered the sigma 500mm, which is where I started then you can cope with the 800mm. The only operating difference is the weight but this works slightly in your favour as the lens is more grounded on the tripod and if you've got a decent body then the loss of f4.5 to f5.6 doesn't notice, just compensate with a higher ISO. There are plenty of shots in my gallery and flickr page if it helps.

Andrew, I think the weght issue is a personal one as I can quite happily lug it around all day and often do, ususally on the tripod over my shoulder but I accept that this isn;t for everyone.

I'll say go for it and enjoy at your leisure.

Ps. Why not try for the 300-800 rather than the 800 as it's zoom flexabilty is great.

We are all Sigma users, 1 x 300-800, 4 x 800 prime + 3 x 500 prime.

We all agree that 800 f5.6 is an extremely good lens. And the current 500 prime users are aiming for a 800 prime.

The PQ of the 800 prime is superb. Other than that it is a heavy lens, it seems to me that the only downside of this lens is that its PQ drops along with light. The dimmer the lighing, the more PQ drop it suffers.

I've never used the Canon 800 f5.6, so I don't know if it behaves the same. Still I believe that Nikon's 600 f4 is better in regards to this aspect and it performs better under dim light. It by no means says that the Sigma 800 f5.6 is not good under dim light, I just think that it might not be as good as the Nikon 600 f4 under dim light.

800 f5.6 is great lens. You won't regret especially when you have enjoyed using the Sigma 500 prime, the 800 is even better in terms of everying saving its weight.

5407234239_c1c93f3e94_o.jpg

Last edited:
Chalky & Kenny

Your positive feedback with reference to the lens and its usability is probably going to cost me a lot of money. How can I not go for it now? Thank you.
Kenny, that picture has made me smile from ear to ear - truly brilliant.

Chalky & Kenny

Your positive feedback with reference to the lens and its usability is probably going to cost me a lot of money. How can I not go for it now?

Sy,

Mine cost me a bit more as the girlfriend needed appeasing after I told here how much it would cost........lol.......you won't regret it though I'm sure.

Just remember 800 mm still cant a lot inter scheme of things. The lens weighs ,6 kg a good tripod and head another 3 kg plus camera of 1 kg you will borne as mobiles a camera plus 100 to 400 lens. Or able to approach as such lifting that lot about isnt easy. And you still will wonder an subject do aka in the frame
Super lens though
Good luck with purchase

Just remember 800 mm still cant give you a lot in the scheme of things. The lens weighs 6 kg a good tripod and head another 3 kg plus camera of 1 kg you will wont be as mobiles a camera plus 100 to 400 lens. The lens is super no doubt and you will have the same issues weather a big canon lens or Sigma lens. I have been waist height in sea water with waves crashing in and still thinking I need to be closer. This is not a lens and associated tripod where you can creep up. Just don't expect miracles from it cos they wont happen.

Good luck with purchase

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back