• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The D800 and the D800E (1 Viewer)

25MP would be more than enough for me and 36MP is way too much for A3+ inkjet, ideally I would have liked 18MP....So, what I'm looking for is a good compromise really.

I think you really should shoot the D7000 then or wait to see what the D400 offers. As has been pointed out, the D800/E shares the same pixel size with the D7000. I think it is unreasonable to think it will have dramatically better high ISO performance like the D700 has over the D300s. And why pay for 36MP if you are not going to use them?

I think you really should shoot the D7000 then or wait to see what the D400 offers. As has been pointed out, the D800/E shares the same pixel size with the D7000. I think it is unreasonable to think it will have dramatically better high ISO performance like the D700 has over the D300s. And why pay for 36MP if you are not going to use them?

I had a D7000 for a while and couldn't get it focus properly. Do an internet search for D7000 backfocus.
Nikon only makes a limited range of camera bodies, D700 - only 12MP, D4 - too expensive and the D800 - too many MP. The D400 is supposed to be 24MP on a DX chip so I can't see that being great for low light.

I think the D800 will be a great overall camera when all the options are optimised.

I had a D7000 for a while and couldn't get it focus properly. Do an internet search for D7000 backfocus.
Nikon only makes a limited range of camera bodies, D700 - only 12MP, D4 - too expensive and the D800 - too many MP. The D400 is supposed to be 24MP on a DX chip so I can't see that being great for low light.

Your money, your choice. Frankly, with this rational I suggest spending more time shooting pics to improve skills than thinking about a new camera body. Most seem quick to blame their gear for their failures because it is easier that putting in the 4hrs/day (~10,000hr/yr) of practice it takes to master a skill. For those not truely a master of their craft, the monies spent on getting experience always trunps monies spent on new gear.

Now if you are a master, then you already know EXACTLY what improvements a D800/E will do for you, e.g., amazing wall-sized 36MP prints of landscapes and supermodels!8-PFor birds, you will want the D4/D3s in FX due to its significantly better high ISO performance at the pixel level and faster frame rate.

Last edited:
For birds, you will want the D4/D3s in FX due to its significantly better high ISO performance at the pixel level and faster frame rate.

My Mum always used to say "I want doesn't get" !
It is very pricey for an hobbyist like me. I am hoping the D400 will be a decent compromise too, a mix of D700 and D7000 with increased fps to 8 or 9,excellent ISO at 1600, dual compact flash and SDHC cards and EN- EL3 batteries. I don't want to have to start buying more extras like batteries and new generation SD cards yet. I'm happy to wait until the price comes down, my current cards are quite sufficient.
I also want a robust weather proof body with the same control layout as the D300s.
Give me this for £1500-£1600 and the cheque is in the post !

Oh, and I want it now ! (Sorry Mum)

I don't think we'll be seeing a new FX or DX body with the same batteries as used in the D700 / D300... reason being that batteries with "exposed" connections are no longer permitted in Japan - hence, the change on the D4, D7000 and D800...

That said, having different sets of batteries and charges is a real pain!

I don't think we'll be seeing a new FX or DX body with the same batteries as used in the D700 / D300... reason being that batteries with "exposed" connections are no longer permitted in Japan - hence, the change on the D4, D7000 and D800...

That said, having different sets of batteries and charges is a real pain!

I hadn't realised the D7000 already had a different battery, interesting to see why.
So, my handy collection of 4x EN_EL3 batteries for use on holiday and away from an electric point will need to be replaced.
As the D800 takes Compact Flash cards and SDXC cards I guess the D400 might well be the same. Again, since buying the D300s with it's dual card slot I have built up a decent collection of 16GB SDHC cards as back up to the CF cards. I record on the CF cards and then transfer on to the less expensive but slower SD cards later. It means if I'm away from my laptop I don't need to worry about card space. These will now also be useless !
Have you seen how much the new SDXC cards retail at !!
There's no gain without pain.

One other thing to consider is that if you do get a D800 and use Photoshop/Bridge, is to increase the RAM memory and cache allocated in order for them to cope with the bigger file sizes.

Amazon price dropped £300 to £2,099 today. :)

Edit, back up to £2,399. That's twice they've done that. :(

Attachments

• D800 amazon £2099.jpg
    D800 amazon £2099.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
UK prices up

Hope this isn't true but it might be;
http://www.pixiq.com/article/nikon-uk-announce-price-hike-on-d4-and-d800

An e-mail sent from Mr John Walsh, General Manager, Nikon UK at 18:00 (GMT) today, Friday, 23rd March 2012, to camera dealers in the UK and Eire, states that due to a "systems error" the RRP of the D4 is to be increased by £500.00, and the RRP of the D800 is to be increased by £200.00, with immediate effect. Apparently, the increase is to be applied to all back ordered cameras. No further explanation is offered

Hope this isn't true but it might be;
http://www.pixiq.com/article/nikon-uk-announce-price-hike-on-d4-and-d800

An e-mail sent from Mr John Walsh, General Manager, Nikon UK at 18:00 (GMT) today, Friday, 23rd March 2012, to camera dealers in the UK and Eire, states that due to a "systems error" the RRP of the D4 is to be increased by £500.00, and the RRP of the D800 is to be increased by £200.00, with immediate effect. Apparently, the increase is to be applied to all back ordered cameras. No further explanation is offered

The RPP is just that, the actual selling price is the one that matters and there is no sign of any increase from the major retailers as yet. The only thing that matters to them is profit margin, availability of supply and demand.
So it doesn't matter if the statement is true or not !

Jessops and Jacobs put their prices up last night so the others will follow.

Just been told it's a temporary price increase whilst stocks are scarce, let's hope so.

Last edited:
I asked again about the price increase and was told today it's now permanent. :(

You were right ! The others have followed and put their prices up. Those that have pre ordered should get the lower price.
I still think that the retail price will drop in a few months time once the initial demand has died down.

Yes the price will come down in a few months. I'm still looking forward to all the comparisons between the D800 and the 5D3. From the rumors pages, it looks like Canon may yet introduce two more full frame bodies before the end of 2012.

It also seems odd to me that DXO Mark got the D800 to score higher than the D4 (the D800 scored their highest ever overall, a "95" out of 100). I'm so shocked I still haven't even read the whole test. I'm sure some of you will slam DXO Mark as incompetent or shills or something...that's fine. They aren't...and who tests cameras better than them?

Last edited:
It speaks volumes about Nikon UK that Amazon.co.uk no longer lists the Nikon D800 camera on their website.

So have Nikon increased the price BEFORE the camera is available in the UK, i.e. from £2,399 to £2,599

My beautiful new D800

Took delivery of my new D800 Monday afternoon. Took a few shots last night before it got dark. Initial impressions? Excellent, the detail is superb, I took a few pics of the kids and the detail is everything I had hoped for. I've not had the chance to transfer any photos to the computer as yet but the screen display is great.
I need to go through the manual a bit as the metering is quite different to the D700. For instance the D800 does not have the switch to change metering patterns. I have an aversion to manuals, but reckon I will read this one to make the most of the new weapon.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back