• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

a novice i.d. question (1 Viewer)

jhouse01

hi all,

I hope you don't mind a bit of a novice question here. . .I've only just begun to watch birds, and my field guide seems to have a few gaps.

I've been seeing a lot of a particular kind of sparrow here in southwestern ohio, they appear in groups and love lower small trees or shrubs. They're brown on their upper parts, grayish underparts, and smudges of what appears to be black under their chins & on their upper chests. They don't match any of the 8 or 9 sparrows I've got in my guide, they're not song sparrows. . .I know what a house sparrow looks like, but these don't have the clearly marked black mask & bib, really more of smudges of black. If I recall correctly, they may have a bit of gray on their cheeks.

Could they be juvenile or non-breeding male house sparrows? Would molting have anything to do with it?

Thanks for any info--

J House

Hello Jhouse, and welcome to Birdforum.net

Dont' worry about the novice part; you have a question - fire away! I can't answer your question, but I'm sure someone will be along soon to reply.

Regards

Hi jhouse,

Welcome aboard and remember we were all novices once. Can't learn if you don't ask questions. I think you're describing male House Sparrows. They have now completed their post breeding molt. The non breeding plumage (September to March) have feathers edged with gray, which pretty well hides the rufous colours, white wing bar, white cheek patch and the black breast. Most birds still have a hint of black on the breast and dull blackish throats and lores. Sometime in the spring the gray will be gone, leaving them in their bright breeding plumage.

Hal

Hi Jhouse and welcome from me ;) I think Hal has probably nailed it for you. Now don't be afraid to ask cause there are plenty here willing to answer. ;)

KCFoggin said:
Hi Jhouse and welcome from me ;) I think Hal has probably nailed it for you. Now don't be afraid to ask cause there are plenty here willing to answer. ;)
And plenty more who want to ask, but don't like to show that they're novices!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back