• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 10x42 L IS waterproof binoculars coming soon (1 Viewer)

kabsetz said:
Joe,

Your bottom line is valid and sensible. However, my experience with IS binoculars has shown me that birders by and large do not understand or appreciate the benefits unless they have given themselves enough time with the binocular in the field. In quick trials, at least with the 15x50, they tend to be initially awed by the IS, then they very quickly shift their attention to weight, bulk, odd handling (and the the case of the 15x50, also the slightly softer, dimmer and lower-contrast image), the need for electricity etc., and then convince themselves that "this is fine, but not for me". They also manage to consider them hugely expensive, although they actually cost less than many non-IS premiums. We'll see if this conclusion will be significantly harder to reach with the 10x42, but I have decided that if and when I get myself a 10x42 IS, I'll try to respect other people's right to think that because it looks odd or weighs 200g more than binocular X or Y, it is not for them. The truth of the matter is that nobody can see the same amount of detail in a handheld non-IS binocular, even if the magnification is only 8x. Most people are accustomed to a shaky image and don't realize how much it takes away from the view, but once you get used to a stable image, shaky ones are pretty intolerable.

By the way, how does your Canon behave with points of light such as stars? The 15x50 IS tends to induce coma if you don't hold the binocular quite still - does the 10x42 suffer from this at all?

Kimmo
Kimmo,

I use my Apogee RA-88-SA's most of the time for astro use since they have 90° right angle prisms but the 10x42L's didn't show any coma the last time I used them at night when I was looking at the moons of Jupiter.

Like I said before when I want a lightweight IS binocular I use my 23 oz Canon 12x36 IS II's. I believe Canon made the 10x42's mainly for general outdoor and marine use and they weigh about the same as a typical 7x50 marine binocular .

Joe

oddbodd said:
I hope it's alright to post a link to an internet retailer? I noticed these bino's at a good price so thought I'd let you know http://www.abc-digital-cameras.co.uk/p2626-canon-10x42l-is-wp-binoculars.htm
Cheers,
Oddbodd.

Hi Oddbodd and thanks.

Wow these are looking more and more attractive.

What brilliant timing as the Birdfair is only a week away and I (and a few others?), will finally get a chance to look at these. I just hope that Canon have a better binocular stand this year. :t:

Jan Meijerink has now a test report (in dutch, but the table of test results should be pretty easy to understand) on the 10x42 L IS and 12x36 IS II Canons on the Twentse Vogelwerkgroep webpages at www.tvwg.nl

Look under "testrapporten" and "kijkers". His conclusions are very positive, except for the obvious complaints about the heavy weight.

Kimmo

:eek!: They have shot up! That is a lot of money for a pair of bino's, can't see how they will sell many at that price.
Cheers,
Oddbodd.

oddbodd said:
:eek!: They have shot up! That is a lot of money for a pair of bino's, can't see how they will sell many at that price.
Cheers,
Oddbodd.

I agree. I could see quite a few people paying £700, but at over £1000, no.

Leif

Ouch! the price has shot up in the U.S. too!

Bad news all around. :storm:

I bought my 10x42L IS binocs at Eagle Optics for $1,200 - $100 Canon rebate. The price there and at other discounters (BH Photo) is now back as MSRP $1,599! At that price, I think that Canon is asking a lot, given their weight.

Meanwhile, I sent my old 10x30 IS binocs back for repair since they seemed slightly out of alignment. Canon opened them up, found "water damage" and gave me a quote for $488 to get them repaired. Since B&H is selling them new for $309, I passed on that.

Then, 10 days ago, my girlfriend :girl: unceremoniously told me to get out of her apartment, which I did with most of my stuff, but accidentally leaving behind my 10x42Ls. Well, at least last night she talked to me for the first time since then, although complained that I seemed more interested in getting the binos back than seeing her. I haven't gotten either back yet.

Good news, on the price at least

jimscarff said:
I bought my 10x42L IS binocs at Eagle Optics for $1,200 - $100 Canon rebate. The price there and at other discounters (BH Photo) is now back as MSRP $1,599! At that price, I think that Canon is asking a lot, given their weight.

Seems like retailers are at various prices. Amazon.com has 5 of the 10x42L IS binocs listed at only $1,039!

jogiba said:
Ok, you are right but the 10x42L's have better optics, lighter weight , much longer battery life and a close focus of 8.2 ft vs 19.7 ft for the 15x50 and 18x50's. I can pan birds or planes in flight much better with the 10x42L's than my 12x36 IS II's and I think 15x or 18x is pushing the limits of the Canon IS system IMHO.

Joe

Hello, it's been a few months since your posts on the Canon 10x42 IS binoculars and I was wondering if you're still happy with them and if the performance is what you were looking for. A friend of mine has the 10 x 30 IS binoculars that he uses for hawk watching and says that the 10 x 42'sIS bins would be perfect for this. Their weight issue doesn't concern me.
What do you think?

I use Zeiss Classic 7 x 42's bins right now and wouldn't trade them for anything, but there are times when the extra magnification and IS feature would come in handy ,especially for windy conditions.
Unfortunately since they are relatively new here, its hard to find a store that is willing to stock them because of the price . Even Pelee-Wings a dedicated binocular/scope store have to order them in if I want to try them out and thats a 4 hour drive for me one way.

Thanks
Mark

I think they could be the best binoculars of them all, by far - but not yet. Wait until they get the bugs out, wait for the next generation.

werewolf said:
I think they could be the best binoculars of them all, by far - but not yet. Wait until they get the bugs out, wait for the next generation.

Any specifics? What is it about them you don't like?

Mark

Mark Ansell said:
I use Zeiss Classic 7 x 42's bins right now and wouldn't trade them for anything, but there are times when the extra magnification and IS feature would come in handy ,especially for windy conditions.
Thanks
Mark
I use 12X36s and I love them but I have to be honest and say the IS is of very little use in high wind, you would be very disappointed if you bought them for that reason, close focus is none to clever either.

Mick

Mark Ansell said:
Any specifics? What is it about them you don't like?

Mark

The eyepiece adjustors are too bulky and uncomfortable and poorly made - like a crude screw device - they do not lock in place properly. Also, the binocs were not perfectly collimated.

Mickymouse said:
I use 12X36s and I love them but I have to be honest and say the IS is of very little use in high wind, you would be very disappointed if you bought them for that reason, close focus is none to clever either.

Mick

Mick,

but on the other hand: wouldn´t the Canon IS binocular work better in high wind than any non stabilized binocular? I made very good experiences with my 15x50 Canon IS for seawatching purposes. At the sea the wind is almost all the time pretty high and a real bulky and heavyweight tripod is needed for a scope to let the view get steady. The Canon mounted on a lighweight tripod or even a monopod beats every scope/tripod combo out there in high wind in respect of practicality. If the shaking of the mounted binocular is getting to high I turn the IS on at permanent state which only works with the 10x42, 15x50 and 18x50 IS. So maybe this is what´s missed by the 12x36 and 10x30. They cannot be used at permanent work of the IS and one has to press the buttom all the time. The small Canon IS binos don´t have a tripod thread either.

Steve

Last edited:
hinnark said:
Mick,

but on the other hand: wouldn´t the Canon IS binocular work better in high wind than any non stabilized binocular?

Steve
That is probable true, I have never compared I just didn't want to make any outrageous claims for what the Canons can do, wind buffeting is not their strong point. When and if I ever find myself with pots of money to upgrade my bins it will be for one of the aforementioned Canons, having got used to IS I wouldn't consider spending big money on bins that didn't have it.

Mick

Eyepiece adjustor lock

werewolf said:
The eyepiece adjustors are too bulky and uncomfortable and poorly made - like a crude screw device - they do not lock in place properly. Also, the binocs were not perfectly collimated.

I too have a problem with the eyepiece adjustor lock not staying in place. It is all too easy to change adjust when screwing up/down the eyecups. I thought that I might check with Canon if it needs repairing. Do others have this problem?

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back