• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P610 (1 Viewer)

Hi. I've checked Sumit's review on the P610. Is there much loss in quality when editing the jpeg files? I use Lightroom 6 and would probably want to do a fair bit of cropping as well as tweaking white balance contrast and sharpness. I'm considering the Sx50 from Canon because it has Raw. Not sure which camera would get the best results

Last edited:
Hi. I've checked Sumit's review on the P610. Is there much loss in quality when editing the jpeg files? I use Lightroom 6 and would probably want to do a fair bit of cropping as well as tweaking white balance contrast and sharpness. I'm considering the Sx50 from Canon because it has Raw. Not sure which camera would get the best results

If your using a P610 then dont expect to do major cropping,as for tweaking expose the Jpeg correctly and in good light and you may not need to do much PP.

Yes I'd obviously try to get as much right by using the correct camera settings.I guess it's a case of whether a small amount of cropping for example or other minor adjustments will significantly effect the quality of the final image compared to an edited Raw file. Would the extra 4mp of the Nikon help if cropping it would images just end up noisier compared to a processed 12 mp raw file?

It has been a while since any comments about the satisfaction/performance of the P610. Are there any further comments or changes in reviews at this date?

Thanks -
Steve

It has been a while since any comments about the satisfaction/performance of the P610. Are there any further comments or changes in reviews at this date?

Thanks -
Steve

I think the P900 is stealing all the attention ;) I am still very happy with the P610, and wouldn't change it for anything atm!

Thanks -
Steve

I changed to the P900 for the extra reach but its the only thing i can see its got over the P610

I changed to the P900 for the extra reach but its the only thing i can see its got over the P610

I agree. I have the ,p900, am happy, but I see so many good photos from the p610.

I often wonder if the lower magnification leads to people creeping that much closer to the bird, resulting in better pics, and the camera being that little bit easier to handle

Peter

Thanks for all your replies. I have wondered about the extra long reach of the 900. It's all I can do to steady my current camera, Canon SX50, at full zoom.
How do all of you rate the EVF? I use it almost exclusively but Canon's is not very good, one reason I am looking to move on.
One aspect of the Canon I do like is the focus point can be made very small so as to find small birds hidden in a tangle of branches. Does the Nikon have any ability to focus that precisely?

Steve

Thanks for all your replies. I have wondered about the extra long reach of the 900. It's all I can do to steady my current camera, Canon SX50, at full zoom.
How do all of you rate the EVF? I use it almost exclusively but Canon's is not very good, one reason I am looking to move on.
One aspect of the Canon I do like is the focus point can be made very small so as to find small birds hidden in a tangle of branches. Does the Nikon have any ability to focus that precisely?

Steve

Cant answer your focus point question as its that long since i set my P900 up and i dont have it here to check,just to give you an idea of its ability to find the focus you want i have added some images that could have been tricky,remember the extra DOF helps.

Attachments

• 25986213344_02aa5454cc_o.jpg
    25986213344_02aa5454cc_o.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 26478869106_435ca109e5_o.jpg
    26478869106_435ca109e5_o.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 26585372996_36c1ba3380_o.jpg
    26585372996_36c1ba3380_o.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 27070169395_cf6852027a_o.jpg
    27070169395_cf6852027a_o.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 136
Thanks for those pics. In the second photo of the Moorhen and the last photo of a species I am unfamiliar with, the focus is obviously on the subject bird and the DOF seems to have played less of a part in the ensuing sharp photos. How did you manage to focus beyond those distracting stems and branches? Can the camera be set for a center focus?

Steve

I normally use single centre point focus,auto iso up to 800 in aperture priority,if ime going to try a bird in flight or something darting about like duckling then i set it on the green auto setting,this gives multi focus points.

I have a P610, in fact is my first camera and i only have it for 4 month.

I found it nice. Most of the time i shoot in birding mode or shutter. I do have a problem, when shooting in birding mode i can't focus out of the center of the image. Still, birding mode is the fastest option for quick ID pics. If there are sufficient time, i preffer shutter priority.

I leave some pics, all straight out of the camera.

Attachments

• DSCN0108 Empidonomus varius.jpg
    DSCN0108 Empidonomus varius.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCN9615.jpg
    DSCN9615.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCN9877.jpg
    DSCN9877.jpg
    415.5 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCN0970.JPG
    DSCN0970.JPG
    837.1 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN0066.jpg
    DSCN0066.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 111
The woodpecker was contrast adjusted and cropped with paint.net, the others just resized.

Attachments

• DSCN0482 - Copy.jpg
    DSCN0482 - Copy.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN0627 - Copy.jpg
    DSCN0627 - Copy.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN0446 -contraste y crop.jpg
    DSCN0446 -contraste y crop.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 94
I have an SX50 currently, upgraded to a P900 for about year but then sold it due to its massive weight which I could not bear any longer. So now considering the P610 and was hoping to keep the conversation going on this somewhat overlooked camera.

I have an SX50 currently, upgraded to a P900 for about year but then sold it due to its massive weight which I could not bear any longer. So now considering the P610 and was hoping to keep the conversation going on this somewhat overlooked camera.

Your right about it getting over looked,its every bit as good as the p900 just a shorter zoom

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back