• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New York in November (1 Viewer)

rachk116

England
Hello,

My husband and I are spending 4 days in late November in New York and hope to do a little bit of birdwatching around Manhattan, probably mostly Central Park. I have found Birding Bob's website and plan to do one of his walks, but I'm hoping for a little more advice about where to go and what we may see. I'm a little nervous about identifying birds I have no idea about, but I have the Sibley guide so hopefully that will help me.

Thank you in advance

Rach

Last edited:
you will have a good time on his bird walks...particularly because his significant other (Deborah Allen) is exceptional. Send them an email ([email protected]) and get on their weekly email list so you can see what birds they are seeing...they will also send you a bunch of articles they have written (their research) on NYC birds including work on the Empire State Building at night (migrating birds); nesting kestrels in NYC; the flora of Central Park - and more.

Regards,

The Bob

Thank you,

I have already signed up to his emails. They are very informative. Our trip is not going to be completely about birding so it remains to be seen whether we will make one of the walks. Are there any particularly good areas where we should go? I've not found as much information on winter birds and what might be seen. Just in case we don't get around to one of the walks.

Thanks,

Rachel

Have a look at Arthur's thread here http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=199223

He has been posting his sightings for many years, have a look at the November ones to give you an idea of what is about where.

Central Park has a wide variety of habitats and much can be seen by simply wandering about the Ramble. Where are you staying? if you are close to the park then you can top and tail your day with a quick visit.

Don't be too stressed about the ids, you just have to go about it in the old school methodical fashion, noting down the distinguishing features and habits, plus there are usually other birders around to ask particularly at the feeders. Swat up on the sparrows before you go there are lots that look very similar!

Have a good trip.

Mono

Thanks Mono, that's really helpful. I'll have a look at the thread. I'm really looking forward seeing what we can see.

Thanks

Rachel

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back