• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colombia September-December 2017 (1 Viewer)

nikothomsen

Hi Everyone,

I will be birding and backpacking through Colombia from mid-september to mid-december this year. I'm not planning on using guides unless required.

I will start in Santa Marta (including Blue-bearded Helmetcrest trek) and move my way down through either eastern or western andes, down to Bogota, Ibague, Manizales, Medellin and upwards the opposite range (or reversed).

I will mainly be targeting endemics and i believe to cover the range of most species, aside from Dusky-headed Brushfinch, Colorful Puffleg and Sooty-capped Puffbird.

Let me know if you are interested in any legs of the trip.

Best,

Nikolaj

FWIW, Dusky-headed Brush-Finch is easy near San Agustin, a very safe area quite easy to reach and bird on public transport. The south in general, while having only a few Colombian endemics, actually offers fantastic birding!

Thanks for your input Cajanuma. If all works out and time presents itself, I am not at all reluctant to go for DHBF. But as you say, it is quite a detour. As far as I can tell, San Agustin is also good for East Andean Antbird? Anything else to look for if making it down there?

Hi Nikolaj
I am also backpacking around Colombia from Sep to Dec and am interested in the Helmetcrest trek.
Are you planning to bird the Perija Mts and Mitu?
Dave

Thanks for your input Cajanuma. If all works out and time presents itself, I am not at all reluctant to go for DHBF. But as you say, it is quite a detour. As far as I can tell, San Agustin is also good for East Andean Antbird? Anything else to look for if making it down there?

It is unclear, and there is now debate, as to where the divide between E Andean Antbird and Streak-headed Antbird might occur. Any birds near San Agustín or Finca Meremberg ought to be photographed and especially voice recorded if at all possible!

I still want to do the Santa Marta trek as well but fear that this still isn't my year, yet again.

Hi guys,

Good stuff with all the feedback.

Sounds great Dave, email me at [email protected] even if just for some joint birding while we're there.

The trek is not fully arranged yet, due to me finishing my dissertation but I will get back on it in August.

Hi!

I will be between Ibague and Bogotà for 2 weeks (4-15 october). I will make one conference in Ibague 6th october and I Will bird some places around. If you stay near this places, perhaps We can be together, specially near Bogotà (Sumapaz, Chicaque, Mana Dulce etc.).

Best regards,

Eugeni Capella
[email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back