• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Father Planas's Grey-fronted or/alt. Yellow-necked Honey-eater (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s yet another addition on yet another person crossing my path (while searching for others) ...

planasi as in:
• the subspecies Meliphaga/Ptilotula/Lichenostomus plumula/plumulus planasi CAMPBELL 1910 (here) as "Ptilotis planasi":
I have pleasure in dedicating this bird in honour of the Very Rev. Father Planas, who, as head of the Drysdale River Mission,* Napier Broome Bay, extended the greatest courtesy and assistance to Mr. G. F. Hill [the Australian collector Gerald Freer Hill (1880-1954)] during his 10 months' residence at the station collecting.
[...]
= the Spanish (i.e. Catalan) Priest, and Benedictine missionary, Father "Emilian" Planas , Benedictine missionary, Head of the Drysdale River Mission, Napier Broome Bay, Western Australia, and at the (Art Deco style) Church Our Lady of Montserrat, Southern Cross (today a Cultural Heritage in Australia) ... whose true name, most likely was Emiliano Planas.

And; he sure survived that spear, and far longer than "1910", ... he apparenty left his home in New Norcia, Western Australia., in January 1934 (here), at that point after 33 years of service, returning home to Spain. Although it looks like he went back to the Southern Cross Church again, as he officiated a wedding there in 1936 (here) and also a funeral in 1938 (here) ... however; no years of neither birth nor death found.

Also see the following links; here and here. As well; see the 1909 issue of Revista Montserratina, 3 (No. 10; pp.373-374), here, and ditto of 1913, 7 (No. 3; pp. 165, 167), here, both in Spanish.

Enjoy!

Björn

PS. Can anyone who does understand Spanish confirm his true first name?
Is it the same guy in those Spanish texts?

Quick return ...

I´ve got him!
"An impressive achivement of the Revival was the erection of a Catholic church, the brainchild of Emilian Planas OSB, who was the parish priest of the Yilgarn, based in Southern Cross, from 1922 until his death on 29 June, 1948. Planas was born near Barcelona in 1874 and came to New Norcia Mission in 1901. He was ..."
Written by Lyall Hunt, Chapter 7: Miners and Farmers 1915-1950. in: Hunt, Lyall (Ed.) Yilgarn: Good Country for Hardy People: The Landscape of the Yilgarn Shire, Western Australia (1988): p.247, (here) bottom of page – with a Photo of Father Planas on the following Page!

planasi as in:
• the subspecies Meliphaga/Ptilotula/Lichenostomus plumula/plumulus planasi CAMPBELL 1910 (OD in Post #1)
= the Spanish (i.e. Catalan) Priest, and Benedictine missionary, Father Emiliano Planas (18741948) a k a Emilian Planas (in Australia), etc., etc., ... as in #1.

Case closed!

Björn

Just what The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims

Grey-fronted Honeyeater ssp. Lichenostomus plumulus planasi A.J. Campbell, 1910
Father Planas (DNF) was a Spanish Benedictine missionary. He was head of Drysdale River Mission, Kimnerley Division, Western Australia.

But of course more information here.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back