• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

dombrowskii (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

I am not sure if everything is 100% correct on the key entry:

Robert Ritter von Dombrowski (1869-1932) Austrian ornithologist at Natural History Mus. Bucharest 1895-1916 (syn. Motacilla flava x).

The OD we can find here or maybe there is another publication by Victor von Tschusi zu Schmidhoffen as Zedlitz wrote dombrowskii (Tsch.)?

First of all I do not understand the x at the end of the key entry. Typo or a hybrid?

Of course it is very likely that the name is dedicated to Robert Ritter von Dombrowski (even if I did not identify if it was really for him) with a slight chance that it was dedicated for his brother Ernst Ritter von Dombrowski (1862-1917). But I must admit I did not check through whole text from von Zedlitz.

From here (with a picture of Robert von Dombrowski) I understood he was born in a castle at Úlice (near Plzeň or Pilsen). I think in this case he is not an Austrian but a Bohemian? Or was the Bohemian Crown part of Austria in 1869 when he was born? As usual I am confused about this eastern counties history.

You will see from the Standard abbreviations and symbols, always worth consulting, that x represents a hybrid. "Many hybrids between the sharply differentiated subspecies have been described, based on individual specimens, or unstable local populations from zones of secondary intergradation. Among such hybrids, dombrowskii, superciliaris, and perconfusus may be mentioned" (Vaurie 1959, Bds. Pal. Fauna, Passeriformes, p. 75).

You will see from the Standard abbreviations and symbols, always worth consulting, that x represents a hybrid. "Many hybrids between the sharply differentiated subspecies have been described, based on individual specimens, or unstable local populations from zones of secondary intergradation. Among such hybrids, dombrowskii, superciliaris, and perconfusus may be mentioned" (Vaurie 1959, Bds. Pal. Fauna, Passeriformes, p. 75).

Sure and I thought so anyway. Nevertheless do we know a hybrid of Motacilla flava x and what?

@ Laurent of course you are right and it is without doubt for Robert.

But I am still not clear if he is Austrian or Bohemian?

P.S. His father was Raoul Ritter von Dombrowski. From an obituary about him I learnt that there is a Weasel named Mustela (Ictis) dombrowskii here by Paul Matschie. I have no clue what the synonym to this Weasel is.

Last edited:
But I am still not clear if he is Austrian or Bohemian?
Martin, If he was born in "1869" at "Schloß Allice bei Pilsen" (according to your Zobodat link), which ought to be today's Plzeň, in Western Bohemia (Böhmen), in the western part of today's Czech Republic, I would assume it's simply a question of semantics, as Bohemia at that time was part of the Austrian Empire, all the way until WW1 [alt. part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (Österreichisch-Ungarische ditto), 1867-1918].

I guess it boils down to how you choose to write it?

Björn

PS. Is a guy from Munich (München) necessarily German or Bavarian? ;)
--

Last edited:
Martin, If he was born in "1869" at "Schloß Allice bei Pilsen" (according to your Zobodat link), which ought to be today's Plzeň, in Western Bohemia (Böhmen), in the western part of today's Czech Republic, I would assume it's simply a question of semantics, as Bohemia at that time was part of the Austrian Empire, all the way until WW1 [alt. part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (Österreichisch-Ungarische ditto), 1867-1918].

I guess it boils down to how you choose to write it?

Björn

PS. Is a guy from Munich (München) necessarily German or Bavarian? ;)
--

In the obituary from Reiser Schloß Allice bei Pilsen is equal Úlice (as well near Pilsen). But I think you are right Bohemian Crown was part of Austria-Hungary and I was just confused as here they dated Bohemian Crown 1348–1918 and I understood it as seperate country/monastry.

P.S. His father was Raoul Ritter von Dombrowski. From an obituary about him I learnt that there is a Weasel named Mustela (Ictis) dombrowskii here by Paul Matschie. I have no clue what the synonym to this Weasel is.
To my understanding "Mustela (Ictis) dombrowskii" MATSCHIE 1901 is a synonym of the East European/Russian Least Weasel subspecies Mustela nivalis vulgaris ERXLEBEN 1777.

If the Weasel was named for either one of the mentioned Dombrowskis I do not know.
--

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back