• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Count de Challaye's (alt. and/or Baron de La Valette's) Caspian Snowcock (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s some possible additions (years) on yet another guy (even if not checked in full!) that turned up in the fringes of my serach (for various Common Swedish Bird names), commemorated in the eponym ...

challayei as in:
• the invalid "Tetraogallus Challayei" OUSTALET 1877 (here) [syn. Tetraogallus caspius GMELIN 1784]:
Ce spécimen (un mâle), rapporté d'Erzéroum par M. de Challaye, consul de France. ...
... most likely the French Count Comte Charles Alexandre de Challaye (also titled; Baron de La Valette) (18161856), French Diplomat, several postings, incl. Consul in China (1840-1843) and in Erzéroum, Anatolia, Turkey 1853-54 (maybe also in 1855?), ... etc., etc., .... written both with or without any hyphen (i.e. between his two personal First names) ... who died of cholera in 1856.

See (for example) the following links: here, here, here ... and onwards.

Enjoy, and; don´t hesitate to prove me wrong!

Björn

Charles Alexander Challaye was the son of Alexander Challaye, Minister of Foreign Affairs but no direct connection to China for the father.

Last edited:
Today's Key [my blue bolds]:
challayei
Charles-Alexandre Comte de Challaye de La Valette (1815-1856) French Consul at Erzeroum, Turkey (syn. Tetraogallus caspius).

He's (also) in Base Léonore (des Archives nationales), here (all in French):
CHALLAYE Charles Alexandre
Date de naissance : 11/08/1816

Thus, did he die in "1855" (as told in Martin's post #3), or in "1856", (as told in the links in post #1) ... ?

Neither do I know (for sure) if the "de" Part truly belong in his Original name (see Base Léonore), or if this part only belonged in connection to the Noble Title Baron/Comte de La Valette (alt. "de la Valet"). :unsure:

/B

Last edited:
Attached is his death certificate indicating a 27 July 1855 death.

This is from the reconstructed Paris archive here, 37/51.
(It was apparently transcribed there on 2 Dec 1855, presumably to keep a trace of his death having occurred abroad -- we've seen this type of thing before.)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back