• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ultravid 8x20 or 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Wdh777

I'm starting to narrow my search and compactness within reason is an important decision. How big a difference is there between the compact 8x20 vs the 8x32. On leica's web site the dimensions are almost identical except for the depth of the 8x32 being more, however, I wonder if these dimensions assume the compact 8x20 are not folded up? Also, are the 8x32 going to offer a remarkably better viewing experience? Thanks as always for the feedback.

I wonder if these dimensions assume the compact 8x20 are not folded up? Also, are the 8x32 going to offer a remarkably better viewing experience? .
yes and yes.
Folded down, the 8x20 is tiny, fits into a short pocket. It is an excellent compact, the best one out there, but can't compare with the viewing experience of a real binocular like the 8x32.

I wonder if these dimensions assume the compact 8x20 are not folded up? Also, are the 8x32 going to offer a remarkably better viewing experience?

Also yes and yes.

The 8x20s are the best folding compacts there are. The 8x32s will be much more pleasant to use and offer a more relaxed and brighter view. They are also the smallest and lightest high quality 32mm bins out there.

Used correctly, the 8x20 Ultravids are way more capable than many folks imagine possible for a pocket roof, but they can't match the performance of top end 8x32. The difference is less about the limits of what can be seen and more about speed of handling and such. As much as I enjoy full sized (8x42) bins, the fact is that an alpha 8x32, for birding, is a no-compromise instrument. The Zeiss and Leica 8x32 models are wonderfully small, and though heavier, fit into about the same packing space as a reverse-porro 8x25 compact but offer much better performance. The 8x20 Ultravid is something to get for those rare occasions when small size and weight are such high priorities that you can't manage to take the 8x32, or to get if you already own the 8x32 and need another toy.

--AP

Last edited:
Can the same be said about the 10x25 vs 10x32? The difference 32-25 is only 7 but for the 8x the difference is 12 so is it right too assume the brightness between the 10x 25 vs 32 is not as noticeable as with the 8x ones? Thx

There is a big difference between top 10 x 25's and 10 x 32's. I say "top" because the only really good 10 x 32's are the ones Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss and Nikon make. No 10 x 25 binocular is as good as these 4. It is not even close.

I have the Nikon 10 x 25 LX L, Nikon 10 x 32 LX L and Nikon 10 x 32 EDG. (In addition to a number of less expensive 10 x 32s.) The 10 x 25 has a much smaller FOV and a smaller exit pupil so eye placement is harder. It is also noticeably dimmer than the other 2. The 10 x 32 LX L has been discontinued but is a good buy if you can find one. The EDG is outstanding!

If you are going to limit yourself to one small 10 power binocular for extended use it will have to be a 10 x 32. I don't think you will have a problem with the Leica 10 x 32 Ultravid but I understand that it's eye relief is a bit short. I have never used one. You will have to try it out for yourself.

Bob

Last edited:
IMHO it is more difficult to hold any 10x or above glass steady, the smaller ones are even harder to hold still.
A high quality 8x32 is a great birding glass and the little Leica 8x20 Ultravid (Nikon 8x20 LXL or Zeiss Victory) is a superb tuck anywhere companion.
I have both the 8x32 Swarovski EL and the 8x20 Ultravid and Nikon 8x20 LXL and love them all.
The little Ultravid or Nikon goes on the plane in my backpack and stays in my pocket during my travels, the EL comes out for more serious use.
You realize you really should have both...I am blessed to afford both, get the 8x32 first and then if you travel a lot save for one of the upper end 8x20's.
Leica Ultravid, Nikon LXL or Zeiss Victory all are great little 8x20's.
You may be able to try the Meopta 8x32, if you like it then you can buy one of the 8x20's with the money saved.
The Meopta's frankly are not quite up there with the high end Leica, Nikon, Swaro or Zeiss but are a viable glass just the same.
Anyway get the best 8x32's you can afford and then save for the 8x20's.
I am an optics junkie but love looking at the flora and fauna and a good pair of 8x32's and maybe later a pair of 8x20's will increase your enjoyment.
The views are what are important...what ever gives you enjoyment is the choice for you.
Thanks
Art

Personally, I don't think you could rate the 8x32 Leicas enough if size is an issue. Very solid and sublime in the field - a piece of equipment that will grow and grow on you for many years. On a smaller size binocular I believe a higher magnification than 8x would actually lessen the experience - not raise it. I've got the older 8x32 BN's, which I bought new in 2001, I use them every day and they are a part of my family so to speak - and I know I'm not the only one with such passion for them!

Last edited:
agree with all the above. My 10X32 Ultravid HD is a favorite choice. I hav a 10x42 and it does provide a slightly better image than the 10X32 but at a weight and size trade off.

The 10X32 just agrees with my kind of birding with lots of walking. But as Bob points out if you are a real birdaholic it pays to have some small bins in your pocket or brief case, bicycle pocket, backpack, swim suit etc.

If I was forced to choose just one bin it would grudgingly be the 10X32 but I would cry for the loss of the 10X25s.

You might try what I did. I went for the 10X32 first so I could get right to work birding.

Once I recovered from the purchase. I placed a good sized advertisement in the New York Times that said “Send me one dollar, and I will tell you exactly how many people sent me one dollar”. That funded lots of lens cleaning fluid, all my bins, scopes, tripods and and a flashy new safari vehicle with a custom sun taning and birding platform on top, to transport the optics, me and my many new gold digging girlfriends (who suddenly took an intrest in me and birding) to the birds.

You are probably wondeing how this all worked out for me, and why I quit my job and just bird all the time. So send me one dollar, and I will tell you exactly how many people sent me a dollar!

If you are already a customer and would like an update. Send me another dollar and I will tell you exactly how many people have sent me a dollar.

Good Birding
T

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back