• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2015 (5 Viewers)

Well, I'm still shaking now because of what else I saw a few minutes later.

I'm not sure how to phrase/broach the subject - you'll see why when I explain.
I just watched a bird approach from the distance and couldn't get my head round it as it got closer. It never got closer than c.250 metres and with the exception of Starling - which it wasn't - the only conclusion I can reach is Waxwing sp.
I know what people will say...
The same questions and doubts in my mind would have been felt by most birders in the same situation. And before anyone asks, I'm not going to put out the sighting and won't be making a claim.
Just wanted to share the experience here. And in case one gets seen nearby today!!!
Well I'm looking forward to you wax(w)ing lyrical about this sighting H (groans all round).

Here, it's been those mid-summer doldrums, when I'm in the garden I'm not sure whether to put the deckchair facing south (for exotic mediterranean overshoots borne on the hot southerly air) or facing north (for the first young southbound migrants). Either way, I'd resigned myself to not adding to the one garden list June addition (which was on the 1st for heaven's sake!), when this morning as I opened the balcony window in order to water the geraniums, my ears were assailed by the unmistakeable 'little bit of bread' (but without the cheese) song coming from atop next door's overgrown Christmas tree! I dropped the water bottle and grabbed the camera- result attached:

79 Cirl Bunting

Only the second I've seen in our 9 years up here.

Attachments

• cb.jpg
    cb.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 48
28 june 2015 009.JPG

Its very hot over 40c in my garden so indoors for me today!
One of the two friendly hoopoes , photo taken couple days ago.

Last edited:
What age would this green woodpecker be ? Two resident woodpeckers , and one young wp

Any advice ?

Attachments

• 2 july 2015 007.JPG
    2 july 2015 007.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 31
Any advice ?

Certainly a bird of the year Brenda...presumably you have seen this bird with the adults? Here's a couple I had in the garden a few years back now.

Cheers

Attachments

• Adult mle.Grn.Woodpkr. on grdn.log.jpg
    Adult mle.Grn.Woodpkr. on grdn.log.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 21
Hi Ken , yes I've seen it being fed by its mum on the grass in my garden and being fed in my neighbours tree several times Three trees directly beyond the right side hedge are a haven for many birds .
Good photo of the couple you had

Certainly a bird of the year Brenda...presumably you have seen this bird with the adults? Here's a couple I had in the garden a few years back now.

Cheers

Although we've not reached 40°C plus as Brenda has 'down south', the current heatwave saw us have our highest-ever temperature yesterday, 30.5° (remember we're up at 3,600ft!), so it was a case of deckchairs in the shade, facing south, and bingo, early afternoon that unmistakeable 'prrrit' call overhead in the very bright sky:

80 Bee-eater :t:

Unfortunately we couldn't see it/them and the calls faded away to the west - but a good one for here, only the third record for the garden (others were spring and autumn flocks, perhaps from the Swiss population, which is increasing it seems).

Although we've not reached 40°C plus as Brenda has 'down south', the current heatwave saw us have our highest-ever temperature yesterday, 30.5° (remember we're up at 3,600ft!), so it was a case of deckchairs in the shade, facing south, and bingo, early afternoon that unmistakeable 'prrrit' call overhead in the very bright sky:

80 Bee-eater :t:

Unfortunately we couldn't see it/them and the calls faded away to the west - but a good one for here, only the third record for the garden (others were spring and autumn flocks, perhaps from the Swiss population, which is increasing it seems).

Bee-eaters at 3600'....enough to have scrambled a few Spitfires yesteryear!

I reckon a severe case of altitude sickness, coupled with temperatures of 30.5 degrees...acute hallucination if you ask me. ;)

Bee-eaters at 3600'....enough to have scrambled a few Spitfires yesteryear!

I reckon a severe case of altitude sickness, coupled with temperatures of 30.5 degrees...acute hallucination if you ask me. ;)

Well, the 'prrit' noise could have been down to the lentils we had for lunch I suppose ;). And never mind Spitfires, what's that slow-flying fat-front-ended thing I keep seeing Ken, reminds me of a mini Bristol 170 of fond memory is it carrying Airbus parts or something?

5am today and an unknown song woke me.
Went out to try to find it without seeing it.
Still no idea.
It was a single note like a Yellowhammer call followed by a c.1.5 second slowish trill somewhat like a Grey Wagtail's quality of "sti sti sti.." type notes.
No Bee-eaters here though!

I wish I'd seen it/them though (but Ken thinks I was hallucinating in the heat anyway...).

H, I wonder if your bird is indeed a Yellowhammer, there was a male doing a half-hearted subdued 'song' similar to what you describe, at dawn and again at dusk at my Mother in law's place at the weekend, perhaps it's the song they do as they're winding down for the summer?

H, I wonder if your bird is indeed a Yellowhammer, there was a male doing a half-hearted subdued 'song' similar to what you describe, at dawn and again at dusk at my Mother in law's place at the weekend, perhaps it's the song they do as they're winding down for the summer?

"My" Yellowhammers are still in full voice......pretty sure they are on at least their second brood, maybe third! Still singing all day long and no sign of a let up or winding down for the summer yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back