• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Crowdsourcing, for the Birds"--NY Times article on eBird (1 Viewer)

Jim M.

Member since 2007
Supporter
United States
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/20/s...g-for-the-birds.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0

Excerpt:

And eBird’s daily view of bird movements has yielded a vast increase in data — and a revelation for scientists. The most informative product is what scientists call a heat map: a striking image of the bird sightings represented in various shades of orange according to their density, moving through space and time across black maps. Now, more than 300 species have a heat map of their own.

“As soon as the heat maps began to come out, everybody recognized this is a game changer in how we look at animal populations and their movement,” said John W. Fitzpatrick, director of the Cornell Lab. “Really captivating imagery teaches us more effectively.”

It was long believed, for example, that the United States had just one population of orchard orioles. Heat maps showed that the sightings were separated by a gap, meaning there are not one but two genetically distinct populations.
Jim

Very interesting, I always thought that bird guide range maps would be so much more informative if they had some sort of indication of density.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/20/s...g-for-the-birds.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0

It was long believed, for example, that the United States had just one population of orchard orioles. Heat maps showed that the sightings were separated by a gap, meaning there are not one but two genetically distinct populations.
[/INDENT]
Jim

either that or no one has looked in the gap at the right time. This stuff is interesting but I think more info is needed, ie time of year number of reported sightings. If I know a rare duck is on my pond on passage, and stays a week, say, I will report it on my local bio station, then if people know its there, then they will go see it and some will also report it. Its still only one duck no matter how many times its reported. Also, just by looking at google images, we all know that many are not correctly identified. How is false or repetitive data being eliminated?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back