• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

St Lucia RFI (1 Viewer)

tbcash80

I am visiting St Lucia in February 2009 for a family holiday in the very north of the island and am beginning my plans for the few opportunities I may have off the leash for birding. Any assistance of sites, access and trip reports appreciated.

Take a look at this link http://maybank.tripod.com/Caribbean/St-Lucia-Index.htm as well as the birdforum Vacational trip reports forum.

One difficulty is that officially, you are not allowed to go in the national forest without a guide, they probably want to take the tourist for a little money. Do a google search for "donald anthony bird guide st lucia" to find the probably best one. He helped me to a Black Finch and White-breasted thrasher quickly after each other on my visit.

Cheers
Niels

PS Opposite of what some say, I have still not seen any real evidence that Brown Trembler actually exist in St Lucia.

Near the Airport (at the south end of the island) is some marchy areas that were quite good, just to the west of the runway.

St. Lucia

tbcash and Niels,

Not trying to hijack this thread but I too am going to St. Lucia in December, so maybe I can be of some help to tbcash when I return.

My question to you: do you think it is worth it to bring my scope to St. Lucia?

Is the terrain such that I won't need it? Am I safe walking around with $3K work the optics?

I have a couple pair of Swaro binos--my scope is a swaro as well.

Hope to get all 6 endemics!!

thanks in advance

P

tbcash and Niels,

Not trying to hijack this thread but I too am going to St. Lucia in December, so maybe I can be of some help to tbcash when I return.

Is the terrain such that I won't need it? Am I safe walking around with $3K work the optics?

thanks in advance

P

The endemics are birds of forest etc, so for those you will not need the scope. There is an area in the south near the large airport with some swampy area, where you may see an egret; there the scope may come in helpfull. The main use if you have time is looking at far away caribbean martin and boobies, terns, etc from the coast, and as such the scope may not be that necessary. I felt safe in St. Lucia, but there is no absolute guarantee anywhere.

Be aware that not everything listed as endemics in the Raffaele guide is accepted as species by others. Take a look at Notable species in this link http://www.birdforum.net/opus/St._Lucia for a list. The Lesser Antillean form of House Wren seems different from both central- and north american birds, and could be a candidate for a future split. You should also try to get as many as possible of the regional endemics, unless you plan on coming back to other islands in the area.

Cheers
Niels

December help ?

tbcash and Niels,

thanks in advance

P

Hi - would really appreciate any news of sites, species and guides you may have visited/seen/used this month.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back