• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SX40 Super Zoom (2 Viewers)

Just got mine, us there a spot focus option??
No there is not a spot focus option, you do not get that on many of the Canon non 1 series DSLR's even - the 7D was the first Camera I had with spot focus (was not on the 350D,30D,40D.....). Just use flexizone AF and leave the AF point in the middle.

You should not lose a lot when reducing to a web size Ben, most of the shots I post on the web are under 200kb (I have never produce a shot for the web that is any where near as big as your shots) What you must do though is to give it a bit mare sharpening after reducing the size.
Attached is a snap I took yesterday that is 177kb which is a typical web size for most folks.

That is an excellent shot, though with my lack of experience I could never get such a great photo.

Seeing as most photographs taken are between 2-5mB it takes a fair amount of reducing to get it down to 325kB. I guess I should try reducing the size more and sharpening more, thanks for the suggestions. I do not have Photoshop, so the most editing tools I have access to are on Photobucket...

That is an excellent shot, though with my lack of experience I could never get such a great photo.

Seeing as most photographs taken are between 2-5mB it takes a fair amount of reducing to get it down to 325kB. I guess I should try reducing the size more and sharpening more, thanks for the suggestions. I do not have Photoshop, so the most editing tools I have access to are on Photobucket...
Hi Ben, all my DSLR RAW shots are around 24Mb (as are most DSLR users shots) and for the web they end up around 150Kb on average so reducing a SX40 jpeg shot to this is a lot less of a reduction. Why don't you use DPP that came free with your Camera, OK not up to photoshop but it has all the essentials like Brightness, contrast, sharpness, saturation and curves as well as cropping and Noise reduction.

Hi Ben, all my DSLR RAW shots are around 24Mb (as are most DSLR users shots) and for the web they end up around 150Kb on average so reducing a SX40 jpeg shot to this is a lot less of a reduction. Why don't you use DPP that came free with your Camera, OK not up to photoshop but it has all the essentials like Brightness, contrast, sharpness, saturation and curves as well as cropping and Noise reduction.

I'll try some more things with DPP when I get my main computer back. I'm having to use an older computer (Windows XP) for the moment as my main one has stopped booting up properly.

I'll try some more things with DPP when I get my main computer back. I'm having to use an older computer (Windows XP) for the moment as my main one has stopped booting up properly.
Windows XP is no problem Ben - I use a 8 year old Windows XP PC and DPP (and photoshop) runs fine on it.

Windows XP is no problem Ben - I use a 8 year old Windows XP PC and DPP (and photoshop) runs fine on it.

I never got DPP packaged with mine |:mad:|

However, I downloaded it from the Canon website and got it to install (without the need for an original installation disk) after using a little program available from HERE:t:

A few more shots for the SX40 mix taken on the fly...

Andy.

Attachments

• IMG_0995a (720 x 540).jpg
    IMG_0995a (720 x 540).jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0999a (600 x 450).jpg
    IMG_0999a (600 x 450).jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1009a (600 x 450).jpg
    IMG_1009a (600 x 450).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1055 (600 x 450).jpg
    IMG_1055 (600 x 450).jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1074 (600 x 450).jpg
    IMG_1074 (600 x 450).jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 143
Did you not get the 'Digital Camera Solutions Disk' Andy? DPP should be on there.
BTW some nice captures There.

I did indeed Roy (v91.0), which included ZoomBrowser EX6.8, CameraWindow 8.6, Movie Uploader for YouTube 1.3 and PhotoStitch 3.1. No sign of DPP as far as I can make out. I may be totally wrong, but I get the impression that it may now only ship with EOS SLR's.

Apparently, when you try to install the DPP download from the Canon website, it looks for previous registry entries relating to disk loaded versions of;

- Digital Photo Professional
- EOS Viewer Utility
- File Viewer Utility
- RAW Image Task

If it doesn't find them, it refuses to load. The little download that I highlighted in my previous post, thankfully inserts the registry entries for you.

Andy.

Last edited:
I did indeed Roy (v91.0), which included ZoomBrowser EX6.8, CameraWindow 8.6, Movie Uploader for YouTube 1.3 and PhotoStitch 3.1. No sign of DPP as far as I can make out. I may be totally wrong, but I get the impression that it may now only ship with EOS SLR's.

Apparently, when you try to install the DPP download from the Canon website, it looks for previous registry entries relating to disk loaded versions of;

- Digital Photo Professional
- EOS Viewer Utility
- File Viewer Utility
- RAW Image Task

If it doesn't find them, it refuses to load. The little download that I highlighted in my previous post, thankfully inserts the registry entries for you.

Andy.

I must admit that I never even looked at the disc I received with the SX40 as I have had all the stuff running for years inc DPP and zoom browser (which I use for all my downloads).

Attached is a snap I took yesterday that is 177kb which is a typical web size for most folks.

I can't help keep going back to this image to just stare at it! It is simply awesome!

I just wish I had the ability to pull off shots like that....

Andy

I can't help keep going back to this image to just stare at it! It is simply awesome!

I just wish I had the ability to pull off shots like that....

Andy
Thanks Andy,Its really just a question of getting near to the bird. Exactly the same with a DSLR and big lens, the nearer you are the better the shot. A lot of folk think with the big birding lenses that you can capture birds from a long way off but it is not like it. Sure a big expensive DSLR set-up will give you more cropability but you still have to be fairly near to capture fine detail.

Thanks Andy,Its really just a question of getting near to the bird. Exactly the same with a DSLR and big lens, the nearer you are the better the shot. A lot of folk think with the big birding lenses that you can capture birds from a long way off but it is not like it. Sure a big expensive DSLR set-up will give you more cropability but you still have to be fairly near to capture fine detail.

You're being far too modest Roy. I totally get the 'closer the better' reasoning. I've even 'lucked-in' on fine detail getting nice and close myself. It's having that experience to judge each situation, fiddle about with settings and get the exposure bang on. It's that I'm lacking that you have so obviously mastered. That's what draws me to it and why I keep going back for another look!

Hi Andy some great shots there sir even some BIF very canny as they say in this part of the world.Have been checking out PENTAX X90 seems ok does not have reach of
sx40(840] its (676) can crop within menu system a used one is kicking about unable to make up mind.

I must admit that I never even looked at the disc I received with the SX40 as I have had all the stuff running for years inc DPP and zoom browser (which I use for all my downloads).

I gotta' tell you Roy, I'm rather glad you mentioned DPP. I'm rather impressed by what it can do! So much so, that I may actually ditch the Nikon software!

Andy.

Hi Andy some great shots there sir even some BIF very canny as they say in this part of the world.Have been checking out PENTAX X90 seems ok does not have reach of
sx40(840] its (676) can crop within menu system a used one is kicking about unable to make up mind.

Thanks for saying so. Don't know anything at all about the Pentax I'm afraid so can't really comment.

Andy.

No there is not a spot focus option, you do not get that on many of the Canon non 1 series DSLR's even - the 7D was the first Camera I had with spot focus (was not on the 350D,30D,40D.....). Just use flexizone AF and leave the AF point in the middle.

Cheers Roy, I have just seen this post and had done that. I reduce the square to its smallest on the custom 1 setting I have been working out.

Some shots I took with the SX40 on the 8th of July. The first one is a macro shot.

Attachments

• Blue-tailed Damselfly 1.jpg
    Blue-tailed Damselfly 1.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 149
  • Great Crested Grebe 1.jpg
    Great Crested Grebe 1.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 100
  • Greylag Goose 1.jpg
    Greylag Goose 1.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 125
  • Cormorant 1.jpg
    Cormorant 1.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 116
  • Swallow 1.jpg
    Swallow 1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 186
I have to be honest and say i have just not had the time to get out with this camera properly. BUT I think for record shots it seems OK.

I took this photo this morning in crap light and I reckon well over over 200 metres at least :smoke: on full zoom with the 2x extender on as well hand held. Plus I was wobling all over the place trying to get it to focus as it was right at the top of the tree. Big crop needed.

OK its a very poor photo, but for record shots I think this camera is going to be great, as its light and small take anywhere sort of thingy :t:

Attachments

• IMG_0448 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0448 (Large).jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 196
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back