• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why does Nikon make the best binoculars in the world? (1 Viewer)

I must agree Dennis you are entertaining
I like my Nikon 8x32 HGs they didn't seem too bad when I tried them against the EDG at an optics event. But of course street cred is higher with EDGs. Doubt the perceived optical superiority will improve my birdwatching ability in any case
Gosh 6 pages of responses and where is Brock?

Brock is heeding Henry's and Jerry's advice.

Last edited:
I've read through most of this thread, unbelievable that it is. I think you guys need to get out more..........maybe a little birding wouldn't go amiss.;) When was the last time you saw a bird through those Nikons Dennis?

I post over at a "Philosophy and Psychology" forum and believe it or not this nonsense is fairly common fare. Like your Binocular Obsession cure I've been cured of my obsessions of ever believing that humanity is inherently rational or intelligent. I find an obsession about optics refreshing and fairly harmless.

Well, the cure is working, I've just posted off my Nikon EII 8x30 to a buyer in the U.S. I think I'm down to 7 pairs now.
The bicycle forums can be bloody, and the most vicious I ever saw was the Rickshaw-Pedicab forum. Seriously. Funnily enough, a lot of the same arguments, like "U.S.-European Pedicabs are better than Chinese ones" etc. etc. etc. Maybe men are hard-wired to argue about technology, and we've been doing it since our ancestors along the Rift Valley had spats over which flint hand-axes were superior.

What Dennis has not considered is "class" -very important in the UK. The forums can discuss which is the "best" binocular ad infinitum but in the UK "class" is even more important.
Currently Chris Packham, professional naturalist, degree in zoology uses Nikon optics, Simon King professional natural history film maker uses Zeiss. These two are "jobbing" birdwatchers, tradesmen if you will. Kate Humble daughter of a senior army officer and professional TV presenter used Swarvoski but now she is President of the RSPB has moved to Leica, Kate is "class" not a jobbing naturalist. Bill Oddie (Cambridge degree) and Amateur birdwatcher and celebrity presenter used Leica, although he has recently moved to Swarvoski.
So the pecking order for "class" is Leica, Swarvoski, Zeiss and Nikon.
In an earlier post someone suggested Nikon made the best cameras but in the days of film posh people used Leica. I think the more astute social observer James Bean may be able to articulate this better than me.

Very kind of you David, but the truth is, I've never been sage when giving myself advice....I tell myself things like, "Yes, you do need another pair of binoculars/another bicycle/another beer" etc. Once I persuaded myself that I needed a Camper Van, then on acquiring one, discovered this means holidaying in a tin box on wheels, with your whole family, mostly in Irish weather, and with no means of escape. If you've ever seen a TV series called "Father Ted", with one episode in which two insane priests go caravaning together, you'll understand;).

Here's a short clip:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25N-4zrk390

Last edited:
Very kind of you David, but the truth is, I've never been sage when giving myself advice....I tell myself things like, "Yes, you do need another pair of binoculars/another bicycle/another beer" etc. Once I persuaded myself that I needed a Camper Van, then on acquiring one, discovered this means holidaying in a tin box on wheels, with your whole family, mostly in Irish weather, and with no means of escape. If you've ever seen a TV series called "Father Ted", with one episode in which two insane priests go caravaning together, you'll understand;).

Sancho, I'll drink a beer to your post!B :)

"Small ... far away." That was a bit frightening, but the older priest is explaining to the newbie how binoculars work, right? And they're twitching a vagrant American Coot, right? Nothing wrong with that scene. :eek!:

I've just developed a deep(er) respect for you. However, camping with family has encouraged me to develop supernatural ear-birding skills, as they won't stop for me to gawk at things.

Let me finish this beer for you ... B :)

David

I like my Nikon 8x32 HGs they didn't seem too bad when I tried them against the EDG at an optics event. But of course street cred is higher with EDGs. Doubt the perceived optical superiority will improve my birdwatching ability in any case

"Gosh 6 pages of responses and where is Brock?"

He is copying Henry. Henry is his hero. He wants to be like him. Boring!

"I must agree Dennis you are entertaining"

At last an honest man with good taste!

I would imagine so, Dennis. They've had a University there since 1477, some thirteen years before Caucasians decided to invade the territories now known as America.

Indeed. A pretty famous university. Played a role in the development of modern medicine. Very cultured city and state.
But we have never attacked Sweden, and as the American writer Ambrose Bierce wrote in The Devil's Dictionary (1911):
War: God's way of teaching Americans geography. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back