• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bulgarian Caterpillars for ID (1 Viewer)

balkantrek

I would be grateful for some help identifying the following caterpillars photographed in the Bulgarian Rhodope Mountains during the second half of May.

Attachments

• No.1.jpg
    No.1.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 107
  • No.2.jpg
    No.2.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 100
  • No.3.jpg
    No.3.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 98
  • No.4.jpg
    No.4.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 109
  • No.5.jpg
    No.5.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 109
Hi

I think #4 is Malacosoma neustria (Linnaeus, 1758)

#5 looks like it might be a species of Zygaeniadae

Martin

Thanks for getting the ball rolling.

Malacosoma neustria and M. castrensis are both recorded from the region, so the former seems to be a good match.

Hi

No. 1 Brenthis daphne, the 'Bramble butterfly' in german
No. 2 try in your local Arctiidae sp, but not sure you'll get your answer there either but at least a start and/or eliminatation point.
No. 3 Rhyparia purpurata, some varation between individuals, but the dorsal and general features look correct.
No. 4 Malacosoma castrensis I believe is correct, the black warts at front and back appear missing here for it to be M. neustria, but I stand to be corrected on that.
No. 5 New Forest Burnet, Zygaena viciae

CheersB :)B :)

Jim

Hi
No. 2 try in your local Arctiidae sp, but not sure you'll get your answer there either but at least a start and/or eliminatation point.

Many thanks for your help with identifying the majority of the specimens. I have gone through records of Arctiidae for the region and looked up their caterpillars, but indeed have had no joy with those. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. It was quite a striking caterpillar and numerous on the Euphorbia, so I am still hopeful that I can track it down and identify it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back