• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (2 Viewers)

Rich H and I met a well known Surrey Birder who stated that he and a friend had seen the Pectoral Sandpiper at Tice's early hours the day after we had seen it. He was flummoxed as to why it had been deemed 'not proven' and it sits firmly on his list. Just wished I was aware of this last year when I had submitted the report as his name would have added some credence.

3 Whinchat on the meadow this afternoon in between the rain storms. Also 2 Common and 2 Green Sandpipers and 10s of Swallows and perhaps 100+ Sand Martins over. Rich H had several Skylarks on the meadow and three Yellow-legged Gulls on the workings.

Last edited:
Rich H and I met a well known Surrey Birder who stated that he and a friend had seen the Pectoral Sandpiper at Tice's early hours the day after we had seen it. He was flummoxed as to why it had been deemed 'not proven' and it sits firmly on his list. Just wished I was aware of this last year when I had submitted the report as his name would have added some credence.

You can always resubmit it Rich. Perhaps the 'well known' Surrey Birder might chip in as well (although it depends what he's well known for...).

Cheers
Dave

The NE corner of the workings is fast becoming the focus of migrant activity at Tices. In that little area this morning were 2 Whinchat, 2 Wheatear, 1 Stonechat, & at least 6 Meadow Pipit, at times all feeding together on the area around the bunds. Less joy in the workings, 4 Green Sandpiper, 2 Common Sandpiper, & 1 Snipe were all I could muster. Lots of Hirundines over this morning, min 20 Swallow & 100 plus Martins, the majority being House.

John.

Very foggy start this morning so few birds seen, met up with Kev & Rich H & managed 1 fly over Green Sand, 3 Skylark, Stock Dove, 8+ Meadow Pipit, & Wheatear.

John.

Very foggy start this morning so few birds seen, met up with Kev & Rich H & managed 1 fly over Green Sand, 3 Skylark, Stock Dove, 8+ Meadow Pipit, & Wheatear.

John.

Later in the morning the Wheatears increased to three. Most birds were on the new laid earth between the workings and the meadow, these included a Yellow Wagtail and 40ish Linnets. Highlight was a Pergrine bathing for 20 mins in the workings.
In the workings the Canada Geese flew in mid morning. I counted 569 a record count for Tices. The flock includes a Canada/Barnacle hybrid (body of a Canada with a short neck and bill and diffused mostly white head.) as well as a Greylag and a Barnacle Goose.

Kevin

Everthing seemed to be in two's this morning, 2 each of Green Sand, Kingfisher, Wheatear, Kestrel, Snipe, Eygptian Goose, & Stock Dove. Also Common Sandpiper, 6 plus Skylark, 10 plus Meadow Pipit, Whitethroat, 4 plus Chiffchaff, 50 plus Linnet, & Sparrowhawk.

John.

Still 3 Wheatear present this morning seen whilst at the site meeting, also 4 Buzzard, 2 Kestrel, 21+ Lapwing, Skylark, & Stock Dove. Decided to walk to Tongham after the meeting & had 2 Green Sands that flew towards Tices, & 5 Gadwall.

John.

Last edited:
Chaps. Anyone fancy a trip to see the Semipalmated Sandpiper at Pennington early on Saturday morning if it is still there? Meet on Lower Farnham Rd, I'll drive. Rich H is already in. Please let me know by text or this means if you are interested.

Last edited:
Re Canadas

Kevin - I had 570 on 14/9/09. That was in the records I gave you. If anyone has any idea where the large nos. of Canadas go to roost, I'd be interested. We've had up to 600 at Fleet Pond recently but they seem to come in from the Tundry Pond direction.

John

0645 - 0915 this morning: 2 Wheatear, 2 Green Sandpiper, 1 Common Sandpiper, 2 Snipe, Sparrowhawk, 3 Skylark, 26 Lapwing, 4 Teal, 3+ Chiffchaff, 4+ Meadow Pipit, & 100+ Linnet in the NE corner of the workings.

John.

0645 - 0915 this morning: 2 Wheatear, 2 Green Sandpiper, 1 Common Sandpiper, 2 Snipe, Sparrowhawk, 3 Skylark, 26 Lapwing, 4 Teal, 3+ Chiffchaff, 4+ Meadow Pipit, & 100+ Linnet in the NE corner of the workings.

John.

For both Wheatear and Common Sandpiper today equals the latest date ever seen at Tices Meadow.
So if present tomorrow a new record will be set.

Kevin

Re-write those records then Kev! 3 Wheatear present this morning & showing superbly in the NE area of the workings. The Common Sandpiper was also still present in the overflow pit along with a Green Sandpiper, Little Grebe, & male Kingfisher. The area in which the Wheatears were also held 50+ Linnet, 8+ Skylark, 4+ Meadow Pipit, & large no's of Pied Wags. Snipe no's on site increased to 4, 4 Lapwing were observed flying over in addition to 2 Swallow.

John.

And re-write again! A female Wheatear greeted me as I arrived to see the daily Barnacle Goose which is possibly from the Stratfield Saye feral population. Rich H was also there and confirmed 3 Greylags (I saw 1) and we heard a single Green Sandpiper and flushed 2 Snipe; Rich had seen 3.

The Canada Geese appear to be leaving towards the east, possibly to roost on the pits adjacent to the BWVP.

Last edited:
Gents. Having spoken to a ringing friend of mine from Spurn Observatory he reckons any Wheatears seen in October are possibly Greenland and indeed most passing through East Yorkshire are currently of the Greenland Race. I didn't have a good enough look yesterday but check for a striking pale 'super' for a starter.

Rich

Last edited:
A visit to Tices am produced a Caspian Gull sitting with 1 yellow leg gull 38 lesser black back gull 2 herring gull and B h gull . Also 4 wheatear 2 where Greenland race ,nice to see just as Rich S said stone chat loads of linnet 100 + pied wags that have been roosting in the reeds. Tices changing by the day banks going earth for bat cave stored in compound , filling silt ponds.

The new workings came up trumps today with the two Greenland race Wheatears (1 male) still present. Also 3 Northerns, 124 Canada Geese, 3 Greylag Geese and 2 Green Sandpipers.

Still 3 Wheatears present this morning inc 1 poss Greenland Male. Also 2 Green Sandpipers, cracking views of a Snipe which just froze as I walked right past it, 8 Lapwing, 2 Kingfishers, 3 Skylark, 6+ Meadow Pipit, 2 Little Grebe, & still 100+ Linnet.

John.

Still 3 Wheatears on the fresh workings this afternoon. Lapwing numbers increased to 21+. At least one Yellow-legged Gull in with the LBBs and Herrings. A Siskin and half a dozen House Martins over. My first visit since the majority of the bank has gone, quite disorientating! Looking great though. A couple of local yoofs looked to be reccying the site - when do the sniper turrets go up? ;)

Matt.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back