• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

?Whinchat Today in Gloucestershire (1 Viewer)

AlanR

Bird photographer
United Kingdom
I stopped today near Ashleworth (Tewkesbury area) in Gloucestershire and this bird popped up out of a hedge and posed on its top for a few minutes before flying away.
My impression was of a dark-topped head and the nearest in my books is the Whinchat.
But Whinchats have supposed gone off for the winter.
Is this another effect of Global Warming or is it something else, possibly a Skylark?
Alan

Attachments

• _Query1.JPG
    _Query1.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 151
  • _Query2.JPG
    _Query2.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 131
  • _Query3.JPG
    _Query3.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 90
  • _Query4.JPG
    _Query4.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 106
I suppose it looks somewhere between a summer Reed Bunting and a winter Reed Bunting. Perhaps that's it.
Alan

No need to be so patronising - we all have to start somewhere.
I'm just a poor innocent beginner to this game, still in my first year. I've only seen about 2 Reed Buntings and they didn't look like this, nor do any of the pictures in my books.
The white back of the neck is a good indicator but that only seems to go with much larger black areas to the head.
I will take advantage of the much greater wisdom of BFers and add Reed Bunting to my December list.
Thanks for all responses - including the amusing ones!;)
Alan

You should think about getting the Collins guide for christmas Colin. It might seem a bit detailed and confusing at first, but it will help you no end with this sort of bird. I'm sure you'll find it much more rewarding to figure these sort of birds out on your own, and you'll learn more.

Still, dont hesitate to post if you get stuck (not that you ever hesitate anyway! :))

Jason

Let yourself be indulged this time of year and be treated to the best guide there is.

Enjoy the season by walking those fields and lanes on crisp New Year mornings and you should see and hear plenty of these things.

Soon you'll be ignoring them like the rest of us ... until autumn, that is!

No need to be so patronising - we all have to start somewhere.

Hear, Hear, there is no place on this forum for this kind of behaviour. If posters are subjected to this kind of treatment every time they ask a question to identify a bird or any query for that matter then you might as well shut up shop. We all had to start somewhere.

I thought Bird Forum was for people to enjoy birds and exchange news and views, not to be patronised.

REMEMBER, a question is only easy if you already know the answer!!

You got it Alan. It just takes a bit of time to look for signs and clues but you'll get it eventually.
I've only been seriously birding for a couple of years and i still make some silly calls or struggle to get ID of a 'simple' bird.

Gareth

Alan,

Post what you like, mate. There's far too many difficult gulls, warblers and buntings on these days. A few easier ones like this are a boost to the 'intermediates' like me! I really hope that recent thread slating beginner questions isn't putting people off. I thought the helping people to help themselves style of late was great. No need at all for some of the comments above.

Graham

There was one in Sussex (near Horsham) last winter if i remember right.

I don't think its fair at all criticising inexperienced birders, it can be hugely daunting and challenging to identify many things when you've just started - just like many of us wouldn't go anywhere near a Blyth's Reed or Thayer's Gull

Matthew

Alan,

Post what you like, mate. There's far too many difficult gulls, warblers and buntings on these days. A few easier ones like this are a boost to the 'intermediates' like me! I really hope that recent thread slating beginner questions isn't putting people off. I thought the helping people to help themselves style of late was great. No need at all for some of the comments above.

Graham

AGREE!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back