• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (3 Viewers)

There is a seat available for the Tices Day out 29th May Lakenheath and Weeting ect Kev C cant make it looks like a 4 am start.
rich.

Happy birthday in advance, John!

Matt.[/QUOTE]

Cheers Matt!

Nothing to add to Matt's list from my session this afternoon, slight increase in Tern's to 5 inc female sitting on nest on an island in the workings. Good luck with the walk tomorrow guys, I'll be down early as usual & shout you if anything good's about.

John.

Great start this morning, after hearing the Cuckoo a few times it very obligingly perched up in the willows in the reedbed. Soon after, whilst scanning the floods, a Wood Sandpiper came into view, excellent! first bird this year & a nice birthday pressie. Also 2 Ringed Plover present, 4 LRP, & Common Sandpiper.

John.

Great start this morning, after hearing the Cuckoo a few times it very obligingly perched up in the willows in the reedbed. Soon after, whilst scanning the floods, a Wood Sandpiper came into view, excellent! first bird this year & a nice birthday pressie. Also 2 Ringed Plover present, 4 LRP, & Common Sandpiper.

John.

Cracking! Missed the Ringed Plovers and the Cuckoo, but very nice to catch up with a Wood Sand at Tice's at last! Great turnout for the wildlife walk - sure Rich will be along later to give full report. The locals just missed a Red Kite which flew south over the meadow at 10:10, also two Buzzards, one of which was angrily mobbed by two Common Terns. Also a Kestrel and Sparrowhawk. Grass Snake seen at the edge of one of the silt ponds.

Have a great day, John.

Matt.

Well done with your Wood Sand chaps.

Just to let you guys know, my trip to Lakenheath and Weeting today went very well.

At Lakenheath, two Orioles were singing in the far (west) wood, but we failed to see any (but it was windy and late in the day). Cranes are nesting on the fen about halfway along the riverside walk, and there was a pair of Garganey on the floods. Also seen, Bittern, 7+ Marsh Harrier, 20+ Hobby, Cuckoo, Bearded Tit, Kingfisher, Raven, a Whooper Swan with a damaged wing, but no Groppers.

At Weeting, virtually everyone present had thier best ever views of Stone Curlew, with five birds seen (a pair in front of each hide and one on the other side of the road). Also a pair of Spotted Flycatcher and a family of Marsh Tit.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Looks like you had a good day Sean. Can't wait to go Tuesday. Rich you are really spoiling us... 4am, we get a lie in!! Going to go to Tices early tomorrow before I get back to installing the new shower,hope the wood sand stays for me. Happy Birthday John.Be lucky guys see you all soon. The Twitchmeister General:)

Last edited:
A note on the Cuckoo is that it doesn't seem to have a loud 'cuckoo' When we heard it this morning it appeared to be calling from a greater distance away (at least three times) than the distance it actually was. So if you hear it calling around Badshot Lea Ponds it could be on the western edge of the meadow.
The Wood Sandpiper was still present ifeeding in the meadow on the eastern flood and sometimes amongst the grass.
Also there could be 3 Ringed Plover on site a female and 2 males.

Kevin

Sorry this is a day late but we had a good turn out for Tices Meadow Walk Sat with 26 turning out . So nice of the Tices Birders turning out, birthday boy John on the bank early spotting Wood Sandpiper, Ring Plover ect. Matt taking over so all could see when we arived and helping with the walk around . My thanks to Kev and his support . The full list of all sightings will be posted on Kev s [email protected] .uk with photos of Grass Snake by the newt pool.
Thank you you to the tices TEAM Rich will be proud of us.
Rich H.

Sorry this is a day late but we had a good turn out for Tices Meadow Walk Sat with 26 turning out . So nice of the Tices Birders turning out, birthday boy John on the bank early spotting Wood Sandpiper, Ring Plover ect. Matt taking over so all could see when we arived and helping with the walk around . My thanks to Kev and his support . The full list of all sightings will be posted on Kev s [email protected] .uk with photos of Grass Snake by the newt pool.
Thank you you to the tices TEAM Rich will be proud of us.
Rich H.

Well done everyone. 26 turning out is a cracking response. Who advertises these things? If we can plan one for early August then I'll be able to turn up. Can someone please send the link for the blogspot? When I access I find I cannot get beyond 2010.

Thanks.

Rich.

PS Red-necked Phalaropes on my patch over the weekend.

Well done everyone. 26 turning out is a cracking response. Who advertises these things? If we can plan one for early August then I'll be able to turn up. Can someone please send the link for the blogspot? When I access I find I cannot get beyond 2010.

Thanks.

Rich.

PS Red-necked Phalaropes on my patch over the weekend.

Rich,
Advertised in the Aldershot Park Community News, and flyers on posts.
I shall try to plan walk Aug.
Hope Kev or some can help with Blogspot .Keep safe.Rich.

Rich,
Advertised in the Aldershot Park Community News, and flyers on posts.
I shall try to plan walk Aug.
Hope Kev or some can help with Blogspot .Keep safe.Rich.

Thanks. Keep the good work and I hope that the trip to Lakenheath was productive.

Rich

One Ringed Plover still present on the floods this evening, also a pair of Black Headed Gulls have built a stick nest on one of the smaller islands in the workings.

John.

Lads, good news (for me at least). You've got me for another 3 years - posted to London next. Downside - have to learn how to ride!

Rich

Bloody good news, Rich! Will be great to have you back.

Sean, the Suffolk trip was fantastic! Countless Cuckoos at Lakenheath, the pair of Garganey were still present, singing Turtle Dove (only heard, not seen), Quail flushed from a path, booming and flying Bitterns and flight views of a male Golden Oriole. Also plenty of Bearded Tits and a couple of Marsh Tits.
At Weeting we were treated to views of three Stone Curlews, a fly over from a Raven, as well as the pair of Spotted Flycatchers courtship feeding outside the hide.
We tried Elmswell for the reported Red-footed Falcon, but with no joy, so we headed to Livermere for a Marsh Warbler, which put on a very impressive song show for us, although like the Oriole only afforded brief flight views. I just want to go straight back there!

Next planned Tice's away day is the New Forest for Honey Buzzard...

Matt.

Quiet this afternoon, 2 Lapwing in the workings, 3 Common Tern, 3 LRP, 5 Skylark, 3 Blackcap, 3 Chiffchaff, Whitethroat, 2 Garden Warbler, 5 Reed Warbler, & Reed Bunting.

John.

Misty & drizzly this morning, 3 Lapwing, 3 LRP, 4 Common Tern, 3 Reed Warbler, Reed Bunting, 4 Blackcap, 4 Chiffchaff, Garden Warbler, 2 Skylark, 12+ Sand Martin.

John.

Well, if your thinking of trapping in the garden, then you need to think about your neighbours.

If your garden is overlooked by other houses, then your suggested type of trap (Actinic) is your only option as its not a very bright light. But, if you've got plenty of privacy, and you can afford it, then a top of the range Robinson MV trap is a must. The Alana option (£430) seems very expensive to me, and I got mine 8 months ago from www.angleps.com for £295, and I am very happy with it. But, what I would say, is that as a begginer, its probably a good idea to get a low-powered trap first, because you may well end up being overwhelmed by hundreds of moths in a high-powered trap. I regularly got c50 moths in my 25w Actinic, and that was a manageable amount.

If your looking for a field guide, then an absolute must is Townsend and Waring: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Field-Guide...9980/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1338708421&sr=8-2

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back