• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Male / Female Robin query (1 Viewer)

digitalbirdy

I can not find any info in my reference books stating any differences between male and female Robins (I am in the south west UK). I often get a pair visit at the moment and other than one looks a bit 'fluffier' and sits perched high watching while the other feeds, they seem the same.

Would this be a potential breading pair?
Are there any diferences?

Many thanks - Adrian

digitalbirdy said:
I can not find any info in my reference books stating any differences between male and female Robins (I am in the south west UK). I often get a pair visit at the moment and other than one looks a bit 'fluffier' and sits perched high watching while the other feeds, they seem the same.

Many thanks - Adrian
unless someone has discovered a way of telling them apart recently I believe that the sexes are indistinguishable on plumage. In the Spring it is only the males that sing so this is your best clue, but note that in the Autumn the females sing too and set up their own territories.

digitalbirdy said:

Many thanks - Adrian

As to your last question Adrian according to my book 'The Mitchell Beazley Pocket Guide to Garden Birds' there are subtle differences in plumage between male and female robins. It says that the angle of brown on the forehead which turns into the red of the face forms a 'U'-shape in males and a 'V'-shape in females. Other than that there are no real differences.

Regards, Silverfalcon.

I've just checked with BWPi and in the text there are no plumage differences given for robins, but on 2 of the plates shown the figure is labelled male? :D

They're indistinguishable on plumage, although most males are slightly larger. But you'd not really be able to use that in the field, it's only useful for ringers.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back