• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in GOZO+MALTA (1 Viewer)

Richard.

Richard
Hello,
I am a new member and a new birder. Been birding for three years and have seen some amazing species including yellow vented bulbul and spectacled warbler. My favorite are coal tits but I love crested tits also. Oh and I also love......the list goes on.
I went birdwatching in GOZO and Malta this year and I thouroughly recomend other peole doing this. We all know the apalling record theses countries have for birdcrime and it isnt going to stop by birders avoiding these places.
It also isnt going to stop by going to these countries and aggravating trappers or hunters(EVEN though its bloody tempting).
How is it going to stop? If we go on birding holiday in these countries and organise birding tours and call the police each time we see something suspicious, or by writing to the maltese government and say we wish to spend money on birding holidays but need better policing of the laws that are now enforce in malta, then this will stop. Why would you want to visit theses places?

I saw Sardinian warbler, Spectacled warbler, fantailed warbler, black necked grebe, grey heron, water rail, kestral, marsh harrier, little stint, ferruginous duck, yellow legged gull. I believe it was corys shearwater also but it could be called something else as its species has just been divided and I didnt always understand the accent.

There are two birdreserves on Malta at GHADDERIA bay and MELLIHA bay. They only open on weekends but I was fortunate enough to have had them opened especially for me. This wont happen for everyone, I struck lucky because a friend new the reserve warden but if you called in advance then they may open especcially for you so you can see the cettis warbler, chiff chaff, hoopoe and Golden oriole that they have regularly their amongst other things.

The Maltese government is working hard to enforce the bird directive and us working alongside them and letting them know how much money a bird tour would bring into the economy is a good way of making this happen.

I was also fortunate enough to have a local birder show me around and you wont find a better place to go birding than the Ta Cenc cliffls.

Well its croatia for me next, anyone know any good sites there PLEASE?

Richard

Last edited:
Hi Richard and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Lucky you to see such beautiful species.

If you duplicate your query about croatia in our "Information Wanted" section here, you will probably get more feedback ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back