• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (2 Viewers)

Holes Bay 30/03/13

1 Spoonbill , 1 Avocet , 3 Spotted Redshank in the bay. 5 Sand Martin, 1 Common Sandpiper and about 30 Chiffchaff on the PCW Drain.

Attachments

• 563spoony.jpg
    563spoony.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 562avocet.jpg
    562avocet.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 564sandm.jpg
    564sandm.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 36
Longham lakes 2013

Redshank and redpoll were patch year ticks yesterday for me, so that puts my year list on to 79 this year, plus black swan.
Chris

Morden Bog

A pair of Redpoll and Dartford Warbler on the heath today.

Attachments

• 565redpoll.jpg
    565redpoll.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 566redpoll.jpg
    566redpoll.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 570redpoll.jpg
    570redpoll.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 572redpoll.jpg
    572redpoll.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 576buzzard.jpg
    576buzzard.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 46
Wyke

1 SEO and 4 Wheatear this afternoon at Wyke Down.

Ps forgot the Great Grey Shrike was still there.

Attachments

• 58owheat.jpg
    58owheat.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 582seo.jpg
    582seo.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Are there any migrant hot-spots around Charmouth? Visiting the area next week so any local advice welcome. Thanks.

Lyme Regis is nice, with dippers if you follow the river up from the beach. The Cobb and the cliff top walks are good too, for wheatears etc.i suspect the whole area is under watched, but three have been regular black redstarts near the theatre on the seafront.
This thread is interesting.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2689297
Also keep an eye here
http://dorsetbirds.blogspot.co.uk/

Chris

Lyme Regis is nice, with dippers if you follow the river up from the beach. The Cobb and the cliff top walks are good too, for wheatears etc.i suspect the whole area is under watched, but three have been regular black redstarts near the theatre on the seafront.
This thread is interesting.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2689297
Also keep an eye here
http://dorsetbirds.blogspot.co.uk/

Chris

Very helpful Chris, thanks. I'm sure we'll explore the area and see what we can find. Hopefully Portland will tempt us away for a day.....

Very helpful Chris, thanks. I'm sure we'll explore the area and see what we can find. Hopefully Portland will tempt us away for a day.....

If you get as far as Weymouth you've got lodmoor and radipole to explore too. And abbotsbury and west Bexington in between.

Morden Bog

The Great Grey Shrike was on the far side of Morden Bog again today Southwest of the Decoy Pond, it is a far less skittish bird than the Wyke bird. Also a lot more commoner birds coming out in the sunshine, good numbers of Stonechat, Reed Bunting and Meadow Pipits. There was also a pair of Woodlark and 3 Dartford Warblers.

Attachments

• 583ggs.jpg
    583ggs.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 584ggs.jpg
    584ggs.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 585reedb.jpg
    585reedb.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 41
Shore Road

1 Sandwich Tern resting on the foreshore with the BH Gulls.

Attachments

• 587sandtern.jpg
    587sandtern.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 588sandtern.jpg
    588sandtern.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 589sandtern.jpg
    589sandtern.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 32
Shore Road

This mornings highlights were 55 Knot, 82 Sanderling, 200+ Barwits and 2 Med Gulls.

Attachments

• 591medgull.jpg
    591medgull.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 595medgull.jpg
    595medgull.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 597sander.jpg
    597sander.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 600knot.jpg
    600knot.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 43
A real sense of spring today- first swallow of the year at Lodmoor and another two at Radipole, chiffchaffs singing at both reserves and two willow warblers singing at Radipole. I also saw the stone-curlews at Butterstreet Cove today- wow!

Very pleasant, too, at Chesil Cove this afternoon. The White-spotted Bluethroat was very elusive for a few hours before showing well, albeit briefly, in scrub just beyond the cafe late afternoon.

Dave W

Shore Road

On a receding high tide this morning, 37 Sanderling(including the blinged Dutch bird) and 2 Med gulls.

Attachments

• 609medgull.jpg
    609medgull.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 611medgull.jpg
    611medgull.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 613sander.jpg
    613sander.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 617sander.jpg
    617sander.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 622sanderCLOSEUP.jpg
    622sanderCLOSEUP.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 36
There were two male Ring Ouzels in fields at Black Covert between Chideock and Golden Cap this morning.

No sign of the two Stone Curlew at West Bexington this afternoon, but a pair of Garganey on the Mere, 1 Swallow, 2 Sandwich Tern, 3 Stonechat and an Adder.

I enjoyed my first visit to Portland at the weekend (5th, 6th &7th) and was very pleased to have picked a decent weather weekend! White-spotted Bluethroat at Chesil Cove and Ring Ouzel at Suckthumb Quarry being the highlights! On the homeward journey a quick visit to RSPB Radipole was made with the highlight here being the (sleeping )Garganey and my first of the year Swallow, then on to RSPB Lodmoor and a decent sighting of a Spoonbill and a Little Egret!
A visit sometime in the future will be a must!

Attachments

• Ring Ouzel. Suckthumb Quarry, Portland..JPG
    Ring Ouzel. Suckthumb Quarry, Portland..JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 36
  • White-spotted Bluethroat. Chesil Cove, Portland..JPG
    White-spotted Bluethroat. Chesil Cove, Portland..JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 41
  • View from Chesil Cove, Portland..JPG
    View from Chesil Cove, Portland..JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 33
I enjoyed my first visit to Portland at the weekend (5th, 6th &7th) and was very pleased to have picked a decent weather weekend! White-spotted Bluethroat at Chesil Cove and Ring Ouzel at Suckthumb Quarry being the highlights! On the homeward journey a quick visit to RSPB Radipole was made with the highlight here being the (sleeping )Garganey and my first of the year Swallow, then on to RSPB Lodmoor and a decent sighting of a Spoonbill and a Little Egret!
A visit sometime in the future will be a must!

An excellent haul, Pam.

Morden Bog

No sign of the GGS this morning, plenty of other birds though. Considerably more Linnet around today and 2 groups of Xbill(2 & 4 birds). Also 2 large groups of Siskin, 2 Woodlark and a couple of Dartford Warbler.

Attachments

• 631xbill.jpg
    631xbill.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 633xbill.jpg
    633xbill.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 634xbill.jpg
    634xbill.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 31

Users who are viewing this thread

Back