• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starling roosts...South east ??? (1 Viewer)

matthompson

Hey guys...

I need to get some footage of a Starling roost for a short film piece this weekend or early next week. I've already had 2 wasted trips....

Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

South East UK..would be a big help too!

Cheers guys and I'll promise I'll post the finished piece:)
Mat

Had some good ones at Fowlmere in the last 6 weeks, but I'm afraid I cannot guarantee they're still happening as I haven't visited since before Christmas.

Not much help I know, sorry.

Attachments

• IMG_3204ck.jpg
    IMG_3204ck.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3210ck.jpg
    IMG_3210ck.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 91
Brighton West Pier perhaps? Always used to be good, but haven't been down there this winter yet. Um, that's not that helpful is it?

LOL....yeah Fowlmere has passed unfortunately. I was there yesterday and no cigar!!

Brighton pier......Yeah I've read that is some older posts......can anyone verify its happening at the moment, couldn't stand another flop !

Cheers guys

Hey guys

I have discovered they is a roost happening at rspb MINSMERE at the moment (Approx 15000 birds)

Dispite contacting Brighton tourist board i can't find out whether the Brighton roost is still taking place ???

Can anyone local give me a heads up ?????

Cheers
Mat

Not sure if you're still looking Mat, but the roost at Sixfields in Northampton is very impressive at the moment. Must have been 20,000 or more birds this afternoon, arriving around 4pm. The roost is in the reedbeds at Storton's gravel pits, just next door to Sixfields stadium (Northampton Town FC) in the southwest of town, just off the A45. It can be viewed either from the trails around the gravel pits or from the new road running from Sixfields to Franklin's Gardens.

matthompson said:
Hey guys

I have discovered they is a roost happening at rspb MINSMERE at the moment (Approx 15000 birds)

Dispite contacting Brighton tourist board i can't find out whether the Brighton roost is still taking place ???

Can anyone local give me a heads up ?????

Cheers
Mat

Apologies Mat: I meant to respond to this some days ago!!! The Brighton starling roost was going well in October (webcammed by RSPB which you may have seen). I haven't had a chance to get down there recently and ashamed to say the bulk of my birding has been in the opposite direction despite being 15 minutes walk away but I get back after dark. As far as I'm aware, (and saw this myself a few months back) they are using the West Pier now too/instead? (which is even nearer to me) The West Pier, as you may know is literally falling into the sea, but when the starlings started using it, Plans were put forward to build an artificial roost to replace the Pier roost but not sure how this is progressing. I'll check out the sites a few evenings next week and get back to you via PM. (None of the Council sites will have been updated since the October Starling Watch but a few local people have blogs, so it's still worth checking online)

D

Thanks for the heads up guys. I will check out the Northampton location. I've got some good footage down, the weather has let me down a little, and Minsmere has been a bit far to go everyday....buts its a specticle for sure!

I plan on more trips soon after tis short film piece is edited and finished.

So any more info very appreciated :)

Mat

Hi Mat

For Sussex, you could contact www.sos.org.uk which is the Sussex Ornithological Society - not much info on the web site but if you e-mail them I am sure they will help.

Best wishes
Didi

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back