• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Natures Calender (1 Viewer)

JWN Andrewes said:
Which did make me wonder if these animals are being desensitised to human presence with a view to opening it up to guided groups, or a hide or some such. Be nice, wouldn't it?

James

Yes but no but....

Its more fun finding your own (with the odd hint and tip now and again, I admit). What would detract from it a bit would be hordes of grockles on a platform making a noise and boars so tame they utterly ignore it.

Part of the fun in Sussex is the sense of achievement from outsmarting these highly tuned beasts.

John

paulwfromtheden said:
Came as a shock to me that they breed in Sussex!

Think they are in the eastern part of the county, Robertsbridge and Battle area I think. Not very numerous, I've never seen them though.

Farnboro John said:
Yes but no but....

Its more fun finding your own (with the odd hint and tip now and again, I admit). What would detract from it a bit would be hordes of grockles on a platform making a noise and boars so tame they utterly ignore it.

Part of the fun in Sussex is the sense of achievement from outsmarting these highly tuned beasts.

John

Aye, but said grockles would be happy on the viewing platform and not getting under your feet when you're out & about looking for the wilder beasts, and at least you'd have a shoo-in site for when several hundred hours in the field yielded nothing but footprints, mud-wallows and a few hairy trees. (So saith the man who's yet to outsmart one of these highly tuned sausage monsters....)

James

i think this series is one of the best i have ever seen. the winter one was superb and the spring seems to be just as good. i am already looking forward to the next two series. (even thought theres still two more programmes left of this series)

Anyone seen the book of the series yet ??
I have only managed to catch a few randomly. If the book has all the sites and most of the bits of info I may consider getting it.
stu

todays programme was superb. some great footage of the black necked grebes, also it was fascinating to watch those hobbies. Great stuff!

luke said:
todays programme was superb. some great footage of the black necked grebes, also it was fascinating to watch those hobbies. Great stuff!

Hear Hear,Well presented by Chris packham,without any of those "Goodies"
type moments.Were you watching Bill?

Last edited:
Have to agree with the above, but it's been great all week. I never knew about Woolston Eyes until today, it looks a great place to visit. Anyone recognise any of the West Midlands Bird Club on that coach?

stuart scott said:
Anyone seen the book of the series yet ??
I have only managed to catch a few randomly. If the book has all the sites and most of the bits of info I may consider getting it.
stu

£13.49 delivered www.play.com just ordered it.

Another great show tonight Chris Packham is and his team are the best wildlife presenters around at moment.
According to the info on the book this is a 40 part series. So we're in for a treat.

Last edited:
ghostrider said:
£13.49 delivered www.play.com just ordered it.

Another great show tonight Chris Packham is and his team are the best wildlife presenters around at moment.
According to the info on the book this is a 40 part series. So we're in for a treat.
I too have just ordered it, thanks for the link, ghostrider.

Rod.

I really enjoyed it too - lots of useful info, great footage and a presenting style that doesn't have you chewing the carpet!!

Ruby

JWN Andrewes said:
And the Forest of Dean Boars last night - shame they couln't be a bit more specific! While I totally understand why some sites need to remain undisclosed, one of the beauties of this show is just how replicatable most of it is. Hopefully one of these days a hide'll be set up with some habituated porkers and more folks can go see 'em.

James

Had a bit of a close encounter with the aforementioned porkers last May. Myself and two birding buddies were walking along a forest track on our way to check out a Wood Warbler site when we suddenly came face to face with two sows and 14 piglets. These animals appeared a) bloody big and b) not especially friendly so we backed away pretty sharpish.

The following week The Forest Review (our local freebie newspaper) carried an account of two walkers having to run for it after being pursued by two adult boar with a bunch of piglets in tow so I think we may have got off lightly.

Probably pays to be a bit wary around Wild Boar though, especially when they've got young in tow. I do most of my birding in The FoD and the experience has made me keep my eyes and ears open even more so than before. The animals really did appear out of nowhere.

Natures Calender book - £6.99 Delivered !!!

I have just ordered this book from 'The Book People', an excellent site. I've placed many orders before and found them fantastic.
They don't have a huge range but what they do have is greatly reduced.
I have no connection with this site.
Go to The Book People
Type in NAC in the Search box - Top Left
When checking out enter Promo code 155-FREE
to get free delivery.
I ordered last night and it has been shipped today.

Paul

I bought the book last Tuesday and it is fantastic! Covers most of the places that are shown on the programmes. I love Nature's Calendar and I learn something new from it every day, like I had no idea that Woolston Eyes held a third (or is it a quarter?) of the UK population of Black-necked Grebes! The presenters are great too and I think I fancy Mike Dilger! |:$|

tufty said:
Natures Calender book - £6.99 Delivered !!!

I have just ordered this book from 'The Book People', an excellent site. I've placed many orders before and found them fantastic.
They don't have a huge range but what they do have is greatly reduced.
I have no connection with this site.
Go to The Book People
Type in NAC in the Search box - Top Left
When checking out enter Promo code 155-FREE
to get free delivery.
I ordered last night and it has been shipped today.

Paul
Wow that is cheap! Just been on the website it's showing out of stock at the mo. I had a catalogue from these before christmas and there were some great deals.

It's no wonder our local book shops are all closing down.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back